News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

KTM for someone

Started by jacin theis, August 07, 2012, 01:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

loingrader

ya, those are one of my favorite bikes. 

if i researched them some more i'd probably find things i don't like, but in pictures and with quick specs they look awesome. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

I would be afraid of the maintanence with a KTM. Everything about them screams fun and fast, but almost every owner i have met seems resigned to the fact that they will need tinkering. Make having a Ural seem less scary.
1100 GS

Fletch

I do think KTM's may require a bit more maint. than japanese bikes, but I have not found them to be unreliable by any means. I have had 3-300 (exc/xc-w's) and the only problems I had with any of them from '99 until now were kickstand bolts breaking, pipes cracking, and the hiem bearing on the rear shock getting worn. nothing that would leave you stranded, but they did require maint.
  my 990 has been flawless so far but I only have 12,000 mile so not sure ?????

they are fun to ride, but if you don't ride fast ( OK, attempt to ride fast) I don't think they would be the best choice.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

loingrader

Quote from: jacin theis on August 07, 2012, 04:26:01 PM
I would be afraid of the maintanence with a KTM.

and that's why i don't have a BMW either   ;D

i don't mind working on bikes once in awhile but the bike needs to be old, ratty and neglected before it's ok with me.  i don't want a bike less than 15 years old that is going to need constant "tinkering."

that's why i gravitate toward owning cheap japanese bikes, but it doesn't stop me from lusting for some of the others...
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

Am i supposed to work on my BMW? besides oil and tires, i flog it and put it away. I get the japanese thing, if there was a bike in the realm of the GS or the ktm, i would consider it. Theres the Tiger, not japanese. The Tenere is sweet and we rode a bit with one at the Moos rally, but 13,000 is a bit more than i can comfortably go tip over. I would love an old Africa twin, but getting hard to find, abnd to rare to destroy. I want a bike i can ride 80-90, and still catch a bit of air on. Oh, i go that ;)
1100 GS

Fletch

Quote from: jacin theis on August 08, 2012, 11:14:18 AM
I want a bike i can ride 80-90, and still catch a bit of air on. Oh, i go that ;)

nobody understands why I have a 990 until they ride it, the big adventure bikes are just fun! the best way I have heard them described is:
"it does everything second best, but it does everything"

the best quote for KTM is:
" if haven't ridden like an idiot in the past and don't plan on riding like an idiot in the future KTM probably doesn't make a bike for you"

Hank

I loved my 950ADV, but was so pissed when it ate a 2nd water pump in 7500 miles that I sold it.   I think that problem has been substantially improved though.

I drank the orange koolaid again with a 200exc (see my KDX thread)..
I had to...my favorite cap is my KTM racing cap, and I've still been wearing it like a big poser since selling my 950.   I could not longer deal with the guilt.

Fletch

the 950 (LC8) was designed and built in a relatively short period of time with the major input coming from factory Dakar rider Fabrizio Meoni (sp?). so it obviously has slant towards perfomance. It also had it share of design flaws. Water pumps, fuel pumps, cam hardening issues, etc. But I think most of the bugs have been worked out. There will always be problems that are blown out of proportion as well (think BMW final drive failures) but over all I think they have developed into a reliable machine. but then I am biased so??

loingrader

Quote from: jacin theis on August 08, 2012, 11:14:18 AM
Am i supposed to work on my BMW? besides oil and tires, i flog it and put it away. I

;D  i'm glad you like your GS! 

Finding the bike(s) that work best for YOU is the important thing. 

For no particular reason I've got my fleet pared down to just 2 bikes that cost me less than the farkles I had on my KLR.

-1991 KDX200 - $800
-1983 GL650 - FREE

and that's it and i'm having a blast on them!

plumber mike

That really is a do-all fleet of bikes but I can't believe you got rid of Barbie's KLR!!!! ....and the Vstrom was short lived. Why did you slim the fleet so much?

loingrader

barbie is heading to africa.  wee did everything from 2 up interstate to some pretty interesting trails at the june rally without a complaint.  it worked awesome, but for some reason i got a weird hair and decided to minimize just a bit.

truth be told, the wee and the klr were filling that 5% of my riding that isn't covered by the GL650 and the KDX200, and with kids and projects and STUFF i decided i can live without that 5%.

I loved riding to the rally, riding at the rally and riding home but i can't do that anymore as I'll be hauling the KDX out.  I also loved knowing I had a bike that I could hop on 2 up and end up on the coast the next day and while the gl650 covers that very very VERY well, I still don't trust it like i would a bike made in the last decade. 

So now I've got the wing (aka silverwing, aka gl650) for commuting and the KDX for the dirt (plus all the other motorized toys that aren't motorcycles).  I've still got a lot of money, time and space tied up in motorized and non motorized forms of recreation.  just a couple less bikes!