News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Riding between Pilot's Knob and Nemo

Started by sam i am, April 18, 2012, 02:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam i am

This last Friday I decided to take along the GoPro to document some of the trails between Pilot's Knob and Nemo.  Most of the time was spent on the Centennial Trail (#89), but we mixed in some other two-track and single-track.  A buddy of mine wanted to get back into riding after a few years hiatus, so we ended up taking it slow while he got his feet, errr...wheels, back under him.  The weather started off absolutely perfect, but quickly turned into a cold a rainy afternoon...got to love the Hill's typical afternoon weather swings.

Just thought I'd post up the video for anybody who isn't familiar with the riding that's available out here, or for anybody who is counting down the hours till the weekend and needs that little adrenaline boost at work!

Also, is anybody familiar with the GoPro chest mount?  I like how you can see the handlebars, and can get a sense of how rough/smooth the trail is (vs. the floating feeling I get when watching a helmet mounted cam).  But I just can't seem to get the angle right.  It's either pointing too high while sitting, or two low while standing, or the handle bars end up blocking half the view.  Any experienced GoPro users out there?

Hank

Very cool video, thanks for sharing.  I like the perspective that the chest mount cam gives too.

You're clipping along pretty damn fast in a few spots!

Bogus Jim

Wow, Pilot's Knob looks dry for this time of year.

I don't have a GoPro, but I have read that some guys will flip the camera upside down on the chest mount. This might give you a better (higher) angle when standing but I suppose it would then be way too high when sitting.

The Yeti

OK, I've now watched this vid 3 times - twice on my 61" HDTV - this is freakin' AWESOME! I love the camera angle just the way it is. It's perfect. Gives you the feeling of actually riding when you can see the bars and how the bike is moving under you. If I could suggest anything at all - maybe try to wear the cam a few inches higher on your chest, if that's even possible with that mount.

MORE VIDEOS PLEASE!

What is that KTM you're riding? I think I need one of those.  :evil
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Bogus Jim

After watching again, I agree... the angle is OK, would be nice if the camera could be moved up the chest a bit higher though.

I still haven't bought a camera, it takes me freakin' forever to make up my mind.  ???  Last year was leaning towards the POV.HD, but all the footage I've seen from the new Hero2 (including sam's clip above) looks really good.

Here's a guy who used to shoot with the POV.HD. He's now using a Hero2 with external mic. The camera is mounted underneath his helmet visor. Warning - his YouTube channel can be a time sink, I spent an hour last night watching some of his clips.

sam i am

Quote from: The Yeti on April 19, 2012, 10:33:24 PMIf I could suggest anything at all - maybe try to wear the cam a few inches higher on your chest, if that's even possible with that mount.
Yeah, I'll give that a shot next time.  I'm not sure if the actual chest mount can be moved much higher, but I might be able to use some of the extenders to move the camera further up from the mount.  Hopefully that doesn't make the camera unstable and shaky, though.

Quote from: The Yeti on April 19, 2012, 10:33:24 PMWhat is that KTM you're riding? I think I need one of those.  :evil
It's an '07 505 SXF.  Definitely not the ideal trail bike with it's close ratio 4spd tranny and small radiators.  Would feel a lot better on the mx track than on the tight singletrack where it likes to boil and stall due to the high and narrow gearing.  If anybody sees an '08+ 450/500/530 XC-W...let me know as need a more suitable bike!

Quote from: BogusJim on April 21, 2012, 10:30:01 PM
I still haven't bought a camera, it takes me freakin' forever to make up my mind.  ???  Last year was leaning towards the POV.HD, but all the footage I've seen from the new Hero2 (including sam's clip above) looks really good.
The Hero2 is an amazing camera with a ton of features/mounts/add-ons.  However, I also have a Contour Roam HD that I picked up for $89 from a special on Amazon.  It doesn't have nearly as many features as the GoPro's or mounting options, but it is so easy to use with the simple on/off slider switch with a much lower price.  I actually would rather use the Contour over the GoPro for something simple like a helmet mount due to it's ease of use.  I don't have any experience with VIO cameras...it seems GoPro and Contour are running away with the action cam market.

I'll try to post up some more vids using the Hero2 and Roam.

greatbuffalo

I like the idea of Gopro having the remote start/stop button. Not on sale yet but its on the page and states "coming this summer"
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?