News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

FS: 1996 XT225 - Watertown

Started by Hank, August 20, 2012, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

This has got to be one the best starter bikes out there.  Super light, easy to handle, and short enough to be easy for the inseam deficient.
Its easy to ride off road and better than expected on road with a comfortable cruising speed of 60 and a merciless cruising speed of 70 or so.   This was Cara's 3rd DS bike and the other two just never worked for her.   Obviously this one did with 1600 miles on it this summer.

1996 Yamaha XT225
9600 miles
Mechanically good
Cosmetically challenged

We bought it earlier this summer with just over 8000 miles on it.

Since I've had it I've:

Changed oil 3X
Set valve lash
Changed brake fluid
Replaced intake manifold
Put on new tires

The chain was pretty new when we got it.   Overall its pretty darn good mechanically.  It starts instantly and everything works great.

Cosmetically, well, its a good starter bike :)

No big dents or bad damage but it has plenty of rash on nearly all the plastic.   The tank clear coat is peeling.  The tail light and one blinker has some putty crap on it.

One thing to note:   The plastic for these bikes is really cheap.  Last I checked I think it was $28 for a fender, $25 for a headlight fairing, etc.

Asking $1050.

No leaks - what you see in the pics is water on the ground.  It just got a bath.

Kenda trackmaster front:

Kenda K270 rear:

Lil' video clip

loingrader

this should go quick.  and if not i may find a home for it!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

loingrader

;)

and going to a good home...

but just not mine
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

liverup

Hank,  What's the deal with you replacing the intake?  Is that a common issue?  Just curious.  Later!

Todd

Hank

When I got it the intake manifold had some red goo on it like the PO had sealed a crack.   I just replaced it.   It didn't appear to be leaking or anything.

Hank

Oh yeah and its now SOLD.  Thanks Todd!