News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2012 BLACK HILLS MOTORCYCLE SHOW OFFICIAL THREAD

Started by Sportfaller, January 24, 2012, 07:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

OK, I'll be the wet blanket.

Most everyone I know who works in the bike biz no longer likes bikes, or enjoys them nearly as much as they did as the stress of having to make a living off it ruins it for them.  Or they have to work such long hours that they no longer have time to enjoy them. 

A few things to keep in mind:  SD has a short riding season.   Bikers in general are cheap asses and will go to great lengths to save a nickel.  Margins are slim in the industry.   While community minded, mature motorcycle people, such as the ones who attend our rallies or spend time on this and other forums are generally the best people in the world, there are also plenty of squids and idiots that don't know a spanner from spandex.

My suggestion would be to keep on plumbing, while scaling it back a bit, and start this biz on the side to see how it goes.

Now, with that said, if you do it, I hope you kick ass and have a blast.   

I've (co) owned my own business (not bike related) for 12.5 years so I have the right to be cynical ;)  But then again, you've been your own man for many years and know what its all about too!

Sportfaller

" Plumber Mike's Adventure Bikes" Thats awesome!!!

and like Jacin said, my fiance keeps telling me to quit my job and find something I enjoy....  Thinking about it more, I kinda regret turning down my offer in idaho 3 weeks ago....

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

hellneau

Mike

I still own the name 'Black Hills MotorCycle Tours'. If you would like to add adventure tours to the marque, I will donate the name to you. Best of Luck!

plumber mike

Hank- I do appreciate the honesty.I usually plan for the worst and hope for the best. I actually was talked out of building hot rods as a kid. I worked at a service station with a grumpy mechanic who said if I enjoy it, then not to do it for a living. I heeded his advice and was lured over to plumbing by a few quick bucks.
The reality of it is, I will still plumb some, but want to diversify my income with something that is enjoyable as well. I would rather sell units of product rather than hours of life even at a slight financial loss. It would allow me to work a little more from home, and get to be with my family more often. I would rather ride a $500 bike than let a $5000 one sit because I'm too busy working. Working on the bikes dosen't seem so much like work as therapeutic fiddle time. The market will dictate whether the time is worth the money.

Once I win the Baja 1000 solo, we will probably launch the clothing line, bolt on bits, and other useless garb 8)

Time will tell

Rich-Thanks for the offer. I had thought about tours/ ADV type campground. Put the land to work for me and get paid to ride. It can be done.

Dr Psyko

I think you should lead ATV/moto tours of the area. Must be plenty of spendy types around in the summer who would love to go "off road", but are intimidated by the trail maps, plaaning, etc. Rent ATVs with guided tours? Most idiots can drive a simple atv, and could dig some off road action. Rich folks like turn key; arrive and pay, go for a ride, take pictures, Facebook. You could charge a couple hundred for the afternoon, throw in a scenic lunch break somewhere. Must be somebody doing this...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

Hey Mike I hope whatever path you take it goes well.  I'm just encouraging you to take a some what pessimistic view of the income potential then decide what to do.  If the number add up with a realistic (slightly pessimistic) outlook.. go for it!

The guided tour thing might go over well, the downside being you'd have a large investment in rigs.   Well that and dealing with all the people issues!
We did a family ATV tour on a vacation recently.  Had a 4 seat Rhino.  Two guides took our group on a three hour tour and fed us sandwiches.  It was expensive but quite fun actually.  I'd have rather just rented the ATV but it wasn't an option.   I got lucky and had a really small group and they all like to ride fast, and the guides were happy to oblige.

greatbuffalo

I will be in the Hills this weekend to pick up my new bike from Lonesome Dave. Would like to meet up over a brew or two to discuss the upcoming bike show. Will be hiiting RC early afternoon to pick up the bike. Will be staying at a friend's in Lead. So if anyone wants to meet up where ever, let me know: RC Deadwood, Lead, or anywhere in between and when ever.

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Sportfaller

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

greatbuffalo

Dr Psyko

Yeah, have to admit I rented atvs over spring break in Cabo, not a novel idea. The atvs were in bad shape, but the guides and scenery were fantastic (picture baja desert, and sand dunes on the pacific). Also, my wife and youngest son could come along and have fun with little experience. If you wanted to go "bucks up" you could rent 100K baja race cars. Only 495.00 per person for the afternoon (3 hours)!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

So, does anyone want to meet up tomorrow evening over a few brews and discuss the bike show? Please let me know when you wanna meet and where. I'll have 2 minors with me so we need to keep it tame.

Let me know what you got in mind. I'll be leaving early in the morning so if you decide after then, give me a call. 6 zero 5 - seven 7 zero - 6 eight 7 nine.

Fletch

I can make it tomorrow (sat.) just let me know when/where..
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Sportfaller

I can too, let me know the place and time.  four three one, zero one one four
Josh

greatbuffalo

You guys know the places out there far better than I. Someone make a decision and lets do it. Look forward to hangin out for a while.

I don't care where we meet. Anywhere from Rapid to Lead or anywhere where else, What ever is convenient for you guys.

jacin theis

I am alone with the kids this weekend. let me know where and when, and i might pack them up and make it.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS