News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Black Hills Single track

Started by tannerc, May 12, 2013, 03:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tannerc

I was just zooming around on the BHNF trail map overlay on google earth planning out a trip out to the hills to do some ridding Memorial day weekend. I added up all of the single track and it comes out to less than 65 miles. To me that sounds like a pretty weak number given the area. I have ridden 75% of it and it is good single and there are a lot of other roads and trails to play on...but.. All the single is setting in the east central part of the hills and nothing anywhere else. I want more.  >:(
I was thinking about writing a letter. Does anyone know of any groups that are lobbying/harassing BHNF to put in/open up more motorcycle trail.
I read a couple years ago they received a specialized machine for the purpose of putting in single track

"New Single Track Dozer Arrives on the Black Hills National Forest

Release Date: Dec 17, 2010 

Contact(s): Tom Willems (605) 673-9217

Custer, SD - A Single-Track trail building dozer has arrived on the Black Hills National Forest.

Thanks to a $15,000 grant from Yamaha Corporation, this new remote controlled vehicle will help build and maintain 700 miles of newly designated off-highway vehicle trails in the Black Hills National Forest. The dozer can be driven or operated remotely and specializes in creating motorcycle trails, although it will also serve to build and maintain other OHV trails, said Tom Willems, Recreation Planner & Partnership Coordinator, Black Hills National Forest.

The grant was awarded as part of Yamaha's OHV Access Initiative to promote safe and responsible riding as well as open and sustainable riding areas. This is the second grant awarded to the Black Hills National Forest as part of Yamaha's OHV Access Initiative.

For information about Yamaha, visit http://www.yamaha.com.

Single Track Dozer Picture

I have also read about people previously asking for more trail but it doesnt look like it has gotten anything done.
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/top-stories/single-track-riders-want-more-trails-in-new-system/article_19d92185-4615-5fee-8702-82398cbc80b5.html

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Bogus Jim

They're opening a few more miles every year. When it's all open I think there's supposed to be 90 miles. Although, someone told me last fall there would be 125 miles, so perhaps they've added some.

I think we did get shortchanged though. We are outnumbered by the ATV's probably 30 to 1; that might explain why there are 470 miles of ATV trail and 90 miles of single track. And motorcycles do far less trail damage than ATV's imo. If single track is abandoned for a couple years you can't even find the trail anymore, not so with the ATV trails.

Dratharr

On a side note I plan on being in the hills over Memorial Day weekend, and I am always looking for someone to ride with. I plan on hitting some of the single track near Johnson's Siding, and north and east of Sheridan lake, but I am always up for any ride!

It has been a long winter in Nebraska, and I am ready to ride some single track!

Please let me know if anyone is interested!

I agree they have really limited the trail access, especially down by Custer were we like to camp. Same thing in Nebraska, the parks service closed most of the trails in Chadron State Park. There are still some OK trails but most of the good stuff is off limits now.

Thanks,
Matt

tannerc

2 other riders and myself will be out in the hills memorial weekend... pre run the spring rally!  :)
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

ZIGGY

Might get to add my name to the list for memorial day weekend too. Who else ya got coming?

tannerc

Quote from: ZIGGY on May 15, 2013, 11:13:59 PM
Add my name to the list for memorial day weekend too.
Fixed it.

Once you say something like that in a forum, your committed!  :D

This is going to turn into a little party!  :)  :evil