Forrest road conditions made the news

Started by tannerc, May 13, 2014, 12:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tannerc

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/forest-roads-trails-damaged-by-early-season-users/?id=164392

Forest Roads, Trails Damaged By Early Season Users

May 13, 2014, 8:48 AM
RAPID CITY, SD -

Recent spring rains on top of heavy snow last October have led to unstable conditions on trails and roads in the Black Hills National Forest of western South Dakota and eastern Wyoming.

Forest engineer Dave Plummer says in a statement that most roads and trails are soft and not suitable for driving. But the Rapid City Journal reports that forest officials are seeing indications that people are ignoring conditions and causing unnecessary damage that could take years to repair.

Soil conditions are so bad around Cook Lake in western Wyoming's Crook County that the Forest Service has closed the entire recreation complex. Forest Supervisor Craig Bobzien says in a statement that there's an increased risk of landslides in the area.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

Was afraid of this. Gives some people the ammo they need to complain to the people that make the rules. Better heads needs to prevail here. I know everone wants to get out and play as bad as I do but a bit more patients will our lives better in the long run.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

and more closures for the masses thanks to a few idiots.... nothing new here, move along...

Forest service did catch a few 4x4's so hopefully they can take the blame and we will be left alone?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

tannerc

Quote from: Fletch on May 13, 2014, 03:37:04 PM
and more closures for the masses thanks to a few idiots.... nothing new here, move along...

Forest service did catch a few 4x4's so hopefully they can take the blame and we will be left alone?
I hope so..
I am also hoping the hills run into a dry spell for the next several days, planned on doing a single track inspection over memorial day weekend.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Fletch

Quote from: tannerc on May 13, 2014, 04:45:10 PM
Quote from: Fletch on May 13, 2014, 03:37:04 PM

I hope so..
I am also hoping the hills run into a dry spell for the next several days, planned on doing a single track inspection over memorial day weekend.

I think most of the single track should be OK. it dries pretty fast.

Bogus Jim

The single track always seems to dry faster than the ATV trails... better drainage or something.

Osnabrock

Is there any clubs in the Black Hills are that work with the forest agencies when it comes to trail maintenance or the like?
There should be some source for riders to check on trail conditions and trail closures to make folks aware of such things.
I know that I'm always eager to get out when there's a possibility of riding but I always try to do my due diligence before tearing off into questionable areas.
Is there a way a person can become involved?
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Fletch

Black hills off road riders or something like that do quite a bit with the FS. they hauled rock into the low spots on centennial trail behind Nemo last year. they also had quite a bit of input into the trail system?

Bogus Jim

http://www.offroadriders.org/  I think the membership is slanted pretty heavily towards ATV riders? Seems like from all the photos I've seen.

tannerc

Robmicgrn

I have attended a couple of their meetings (Off Road Riders Assoc) and they do work with the FS quite a bit. They are always looking for help/volunteers for cleanup days, trail maintenance etc. They are very ATV orientated, with just a few bikes involved. I would be more involved with them but they just don't travel at a pace I can handle  :evil. They often have speakers from the FS at their meetings concerning the issues with the trails. They are a good group, and really connected to what is going on with the trail system. They recently added a FB page, and may be worth the visit if you are interested in at least what they are about and up to.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Off-Road-Riders-Association/375001362609115
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

greatbuffalo

If I was closer I think I'd join a group like that, if you don't try to get your voice to be heard, you really can't do much complaining, (although I would anyway :evil) Even if it is a ATV dominated group, it would be good to a dualsport M/C voice at the table. My hats off to those that promote the creation of singletrack.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

On the sacred day of May 15th, I went trail riding behind my house to check on FS gates.  I found two gates closed.  The only two I need to have open so I can trail ride to work or return.  I figured, they can't get them open all on the same day, no big deal.  Yesterday, Wacked and I were riding near Pactola Lake.  Although most gates were open, we found a trail that was closed.  It was not on mvum map, but last year it was, and was open.  So I called the FS about them.  After talking with several people that had standard answers who really didn't know anything I talked with Ben Schumacher, trails guy for the Mystic district.  Nice guy and he explained several things.  First, the gates that are closed in the Black Hawk area are in response to the Northern Hills closure.  (See related text below)  Basically, the northern hills seasonal trails are all closed right now, because of the moisture in the ground and on the trails.  And, for various other reasons, including "public safety."  He explained that they sometimes will close area C and D to keep people out of areas further up the chain, like K & L.  In other words, Black Hawk trail access leads directly to Dalton Lake and other areas that need to stay closed until they have time to dry out and to remove deadly trees that might fall on someone.

I'm not saying I agree with all of this, but this was his answer.  He did agree with me that most of the trails that have been damaged this year are not from this year at all, and are not from ATV or bikes, but from heavy 4x4s.  Why, because the blizzard happened in mid October last year and hunting season came along 2 to 3 weeks later.  Many irresponsible hunters in 4x4s are out there hunting!  Don't get me wrong, not all but...one damn idiot can do a lot of damage, and worse give everyone else a bad reputation. 

The other gate we found closed yesterday, is your typical typo problem.  In other words, it is suppose to be closed, but last year the software put it back in place.  And, that's when I found it.  They couldn't do anything about it last year so they corrected it this year.  He mentioned there there was another trail last year, 243.2b (I think).  Same thing one year its there and one year its not.

I don't know what this may mean to the summer rally, because its all based in the northern hills.  It's a month away, but..... :-\  I'm just saying.

The following is a cut and paste from the FS's web site.  here's the link  http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/blackhills/alerts-notices

Blackhawk area, roads 126 and 777. Connects with Northern Hills - closed to prevent people getting stuck behind gates.

Newton Trail System, northwest of Hill City south of Deerfield road. This area is new on the MVUM, and there are saturated trails, and numerous trees down in the area due to beetle mortality, and many hazard trees remaining adjacent to trails.

Merritt Trails South of Rochford Road, west of HWY 385. Storm damage caused heavy blowdown and trees on trail edges are leaning over the trails. Don't want vehicle damage to users.

Nugget Trail system and Northern portions of China Gulch road. Heavy blowdown in beetle hit trees, hazard trees remain near trail edge. Many trails impassible

West end of Horse Creek Road. Connects to Nugget trails and China Gulch road.

Northern Hills Ranger District

All Northern Hills seasonal gates are still currently closed - May 16, 2014

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Hmmm, just what we need to dry out the trails.  :(

tannerc

It would be nice if they would give us a map with highlighted areas that are closed.. So I take it from reading that, the new single track by hill city is closed.