News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Erskine Cave

Started by Robmicgrn, June 05, 2012, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robmicgrn

Does anyone have the Lat/Lon or good directions for the location of this cave? I was able to find Ice Cave on Sunday, but Erskine is being elusive. Talked to an oldtimer out on the trail, he tried to point me in the right direction, but it seemed a ways off from what I have seen on the maps. I may have been really close. I got within 100 yds of ice cave before I went back (better directions) and got to it.

Robert
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Lonesome Dave

Its on the east (generally speaking) of trail 8282.  Follow the ATV tracks just a rock's throw from the trail.  Its a hole in the ground.  A few years ago I found a couple of high school kids crawling out of it.  They left their ATV on top so I knew something was up, but then I heard them talking way down inside the ground.  Creepy, but you know why Robert, cause we aren't built for spelunking!
N 44 10.700
W 103 25.711
Don't fall in!  ;D
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Robmicgrn

Thanks Dave! Been by there many times. Got it locked into my gps, and will be searching tomorrow. I know I was close on Sunday. Did that loop just north of there 8285 at a snails pace thinking it was back in there. After looking at the trail map, it looks like it may be in the middle of a long, fast straightaway  :o ! No wonder ive missed it. I will let you know tomorrow how I do.

Robert

Robmicgrn

Found it! Thanks Dave! It is right off the trail, and you cannot even see it until you are on top of it. Its funny thay I have ridden by there so many times and there it was all along (note to self:explore those little side trails from time to time, even if they arent on the MVUM! you never know what you may find). I also want to thank the USFS for the Fort Knox bars accross the entrance, to keep myself and others from getting in to far and maybe getting hurt  :o . Found some pictures online of the cave, presumably back when you could explore it a bit, and was hoping to get in a bit further. Oh well. I have been looking for that cave since last summer, so now I need another obscure, off the beaten path, not to many people know about type place to hunt for. any suggestions?

Robert

Lonesome Dave

I think you can get a key from the forest service if you want to crawl in.  I don't know what they require to gain access. 
Quote from: Robmicgrn on June 07, 2012, 09:53:04 AM
I have been looking for that cave since last summer, so now I need another obscure, off the beaten path, not to many people know about type place to hunt for. any suggestions?
I'll be thinking about that.  One place close by, no make that two places close by; Sister Mary, cross, and bench seat on top of a hill / overlook.  2nd place Ice canyon.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

the gates are to protect bats from something?? Not sure if they will give you a key unless you go through the black Hills grotto club??
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Have you been to the Custer photo site? A trail goes most of the way, short hike at the end. It is photo #14 at this link:

http://dakotaphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/2106854_sjLdc#!i=597974094&k=TJ8zs

Also, there are two really old unmarked graves, in the Bogus Jim area. In the middle of nowhere as far as roads. At first I thought they might be related to the Custer expedition since it's close to their route, but the book has no mention of grave site in that area (it's not Private King's grave which is visible from Nemo road). I've not been able to learn anything about who's buried there. PM me if you want directions. Unless you already know about it... then maybe you can tell me the history.  ???

Robmicgrn

Quote from: Fletch on June 07, 2012, 02:10:15 PM
the gates are to protect bats from something?? Not sure if they will give you a key unless you go through the black Hills grotto club??

The bats are being protected from WNS or White Nose Syndrome, a highly contagious fungus that can kill a whole colony. It has not been found in SD, in fact the closest state that has it, from what I have seen is Missouri. The theory is to keep humans out to prevent infection in case we are carriers or it is on some random spelunkers gear i suupose.

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on June 07, 2012, 01:38:45 PM
I think you can get a key from the forest service if you want to crawl in.  I don't know what they require to gain access. 
Quote from: Robmicgrn on June 07, 2012, 09:53:04 AM
I have been looking for that cave since last summer, so now I need another obscure, off the beaten path, not to many people know about type place to hunt for. any suggestions?
I'll be thinking about that.  One place close by, no make that two places close by; Sister Mary, cross, and bench seat on top of a hill / overlook.  2nd place Ice canyon.  LD

Not really a cave explorer, but would have gone in farther (as long as I easily fit) and could still see with just the ambient light. My spelunking days are over :( . Both those places sound interesting. Is Ice Canyon near Ice Cave?

Lonesome Dave

I'm sure Ice canyon got its name from Ice cave, and it is very close.  I believe 8284 is the trail.  It use to be accessible from above on trail 148 but I think they blocked that off last year.  8284 is labeled seasonal rock crawler.   It's actually east of Erskine Cave about one mile.  I first found this in 1999 by accident riding ATVs.  It was pretty rough back then but has smoothed out over the years.  Still rough and you WILL scratch your wheels and skid plate.  I for one would not try it on two wheels, but UTVs and ATVs can make it.  I believe now, you have to enter from the top and can go until it closes off at the bottom of the trail (we use to have picnics down at the end).  But then you have to get out the same way you came in.  You wouldn't want to be there when it rains like it did today.

The shrine is at or near N 44° 09.094 W 103° 22.836   This is actually one mile from my house on the ridge above me.  There's a geocache also located near this site called "Shrine in the Black Hills"  It's off of trail 126.  If you read the comments on geocaching.com a lot of people want to know the history of this.  Some time I will tell ya, and no it wasn't me.  But I will tell you its been there for about 25 years.  The different items erected there were placed by other unknown people.  Years ago, Sister Mary was found all broken to pieces one day by the owner.  The owner came back another day to clean up the mess, and found every last piece of the statue gone.  Later the owner found the statue glued back together and placed as before.  You can still see the cracks.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/8a355def-bb39-46e8-b8d2-2599413c87e6.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/caed7026-22cf-4082-b268-3d92eca5a1de.jpg

I bet your curious now!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

i'm ready for a tour of unknown cool places led by lonesome and bogus.

the riding in the hills is amazing but when you start learning about all the history and the cool places we can see by bike that you can't drive your RV to, it just makes it even better!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dr Psyko

Ditto, I saw some realy fun stuff with LD last year. (Thanks again)
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Bogus Jim

When it comes to Black Hills history, Lonesome Dave has a big edge over me. I believe when he was younger, he actually delivered some supplies to the 1874 Custer expedition.

Lonesome Dave

Now that's funny! LMAO 

Actually, Custer did spend his last night in the Black Hills on the ridge I live on.  They eventually found a way out of the hills just east of my place.  It's actually at the end of Palmer Road.  You can still see wagon tracks there.  I also have an area on my place that I believe is a wagon trail.  It runs for about 100 feet and then just kinda blends into the landscape and disappears again.  I have dug up numerous horse shoes in my front yard that are huge, much larger than a normal horse.   The oldest known "white-man" grave in the Black Hills is 1/4 mile west of me (same ridge top).  He was one of Custer's men; Private James King.

Probably a lot of you already knew that one, but where is the second oldest grave in the Black Hills?  Most of you have traveled right by it if you've ever been to Rapid City.  The man, William Cogan from Wisconsin had traveled to the newly established (2 months old) town of Hay City, Dakota Territory, later renamed Rapid City. He was just east of town when a band of Indians got him on May 4th, 1876.  Just imagine traveling  all that way to your fame and fortune and get wacked just as you arrive.  Sorry, Wacked, no pun intended.  So where's it at:  I-90, exit 61, south side as you take the east bound exit ramp look to the right.  You will see a small fence next to the hotel.  There lies William Cogan.  Funny how everybody knows the first and nobody knows the second!

Oh yea, one more thing.  I may be old, but I don't have some dirt road named after me!  LD   8)
Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

Alright Lonesome, I think you need to be brainstorming a day trip sight seeing route.  We are going to have a ton of riders and will need some trail leaders.  I'd love to follow you to some of the cool obscure spots out in the hills.

If you're not up for it in a couple weeks, keep it in mind for another time.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

As far as burials in the Black Hills Related to the Custer expedition there are 5? you ask. 2 are at Inyan Kara, one is in Custer State Park, one is just up the road from Lonesome Daves already discussed and the 5th? Although it is not contemporary to the expedition, The first non-native woman in the Hills, the cook for the expedition, Sally Campbell, is buried at the Vinegar Hill Cemetery in Galena.

I would love to have someone that has an intimate knowledge of Black Hills history to lead a ride to some of those more unknown locations of the hills. I've been to quite a few of them but I know there are many more.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?