News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Screwed up tires

Started by tannerc, December 23, 2013, 07:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tannerc

First attempt at riding on the ice.
The goal was to stay upright, 0f degrees and plastic felt like it would shatter on impact.
first impressions... Cant wait to try it again!

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

My screws are on order.   I'll be joining you soon!

Lee Bruns

I just did mine yesterday. All ready to go. As soon as I kick this runny nose and cough.

tannerc

Second try at the ice. The lakes are covered in snow, hard drifted snow.

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

Looks fun.   I've got a 48" snowblower on the front of my ATV.   I wonder if I put chains on that if we couldn't get a decent oval made.

Lee Bruns

Oval ice racing is an absolute BLAST!!! Let me know when you want to go plow an oval, I'd love to come out and run some laps.

greatbuffalo

That looks like way too much fun.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

Quote from: greatbuffalo on January 10, 2014, 11:59:13 PM
That looks like way too much fun.

Tons-o-fun.. Must have been too much because im sore, all muscles, head to toe. Need to get to riding more often.
65 mph was about all I could get up to, before the rebound started to make things silly, The snow drifts acted like inconsistent woops.
Quote from: Hank on January 10, 2014, 07:27:47 AM
Looks fun.   I've got a 48" snowblower on the front of my ATV.   I wonder if I put chains on that if we couldn't get a decent oval made.

OOOoo! That sounds like a good idea! If you happen to get out this weekend get some pictures/video.

Throttle control seemed to play a huge part in traction on the clear ice with the pig. It would hook up better then pavement with smooth accel but a little too much wrist and it would break free.
There was some surfaces that looked cloudy bumpy/crumbly ice that stuff is velcro, with any amount of throttle, its strange.

tannerc

Made it to Lake Brandt today, They have ice races over there on the weekends ( http://www.shipwreckbarandgrill.com/eventcalendar.html ) The track is pretty good size, they run bikes, youth bikes, quads, and three wheelers. I think the youth and the more then two wheels stuff runs through the center zig zags, I kinda videoed a lap around both courses.
The Ice was good clear ice in most spots and I haven't had the opportunity to try that yet until today.

Going around the oval was fun but trying to find the break free point for going around the corners was tricky. It would not slowly slide out it would just break free. I played with different angles of leaning and different amounts of twist trying to get the feel for things. The thing that got me was second and third gear wheelies are on command with the pig, while playing all I could get done was spin the tire and chip ice when aggressively whacking the throttle. I figured with the kenda ice tire and the amount of screws in that sucker ought not be that much spin.

Anyhow on the way home it dawned on me,  ::) check the tire pressure 26lbs!  >:(  :-[
Well time to air down and give it another go.

What pressure are you guys running in your ice tires?

Hank

I ran 15 when I was out.   I really have no idea what is recommended.