News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

The highest trail in the Black Hills

Started by Bogus Jim, July 01, 2010, 09:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

This might be one of those pointless trivia questions, but for you guys that have been riding awhile in the Hills, what is the highest elevation you've reached? Bear Mountain is an obvious candidate; I thought I had found a place that was higher, south of Deerfield lake, altitude 7176.

But then I rode up Bear Mountain and the GPS said 7198 feet(!)... I don't think that can be right since the sign at the top says 7144. The sign was put up by the government and surely the government would not lie to us.

If you have not ridden 299.1C up the north side of Bear Mountain, that is a fun one. Not too challenging but fun because the trail just climbs, and climbs, and climbs.

The Yeti

I can't tell you about any highest points, but me and Caseyjones rode that trail up the north side of Bear Mountain last year (I believe it's 299.1C - 299.1J - 299.1K) and it was very muddy at the time. That last uphill, right hand turn provided quite a challenge on my 950...I bet it's a lot easier on the WRR.  ;D

If you know a better route that doesn't show on the map, please enlighten me!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

How high is the burnout area above Deadwood?

Bogus Jim

Quote from: The Yeti on July 02, 2010, 10:06:14 AM
If you know a better route that doesn't show on the map, please enlighten me!

No, that is the same route I rode up, Yeti. It was fairly easy but I remember thinking it would be a lot more difficult if things were muddy.

Google Earth seems to show a trail (not on the FS map) that you could ride up the southeast side, from 285.1A. Might be something to explore next time.