News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

clipped a deer

Started by excess, July 26, 2010, 09:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

excess

Headed into nemo last night hot. A baby deer suddenly appeared in front of my tire I clipped his rear hooves and sent him scidding across the road. He took off seemingly unharmed I may have peed alittle but otherwise unharmed. I had the steering stabilize cranked from some earlier stoppie practice and it barely moved my tire. Scared the bejeebus out of me though

loingrader

nothing gets my adrenaline going like a near miss with a deer.  happens way too often around here.  i can't imagine how many of those suckers i would hit if i lived in the hills.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Deer suck.  Glad you didn't take a slider!

I had one run across the road in broad daylight (11am) last week when I was riding home from northern MN, maybe 50 feet ahead of me.  Wasn't close but it always makes you think.

I've had plenty of close encounters over the years.   When I was maybe 16 yrs old, riding my awesome 440LTD, I had just turned a corner on a gravel road about 1/2 mile from home and one came banzai out of the ditch.   It's head hit my shin and knocked off my back turn signal, but I didn't crash.  I think I peed myself though.   Deer got up, shook his head and ran away.   Was a bad night for riding as in the previous mile I narrowly missed a black cow standing in the road and I hit an owl, which was jammed under my headlight.   I was real glad to get home :)

plumber mike

I didn't know there were deer around here ??? :P ;D

Did that bike come with a steering stabilizer? Wait....what were you riding?

loingrader

stoppies?  sounds like the duke.  a true oem hooligan bike.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

excess

Yeah the duke. the guy I bought it off put it on and I can see why the front end gets so lite and with that stearing angle wobble would be bad without it i think. The only bike I have that doesn't have one is the se I never found a bar mount one that would work with my riders....actually thinking about it there has to be a way to make it work. Anyone care to enlighten me? Next to having my suspension dialed correctly I don't think there is anything that makes me feel more confident on the bike they really make an amazing difference

loingrader

Quote from: excess on July 26, 2010, 08:46:26 PM
I don't think there is anything that makes me feel more confident on the bike they really make an amazing difference

i've been wanting to put one on my klr for those high speed single track rides i like to take.  i figure it would also help when i'm carving canyons on pavement, especially when the front end want's to come up as i power thru the turns. 

i just don't want all the extra weight of a steering damper throwing off the perfect balance on my featherlight bike. 

decisions decisions...

Bogus Jim

I just put a Scotts on the wrr last weekend. The difference is amazing... first time I've ridden a bike with a steering damper. Now I can fly down Nemo road like excess and terrorize baby deer.  ;)

loingrader

those scotts steering dampers are so very sexy.