News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trans Dakota Adventure Trail?

Started by Lee Bruns, August 28, 2010, 01:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Bruns

A batch of my friends in the Twin Cities just got back from the Trans American Adventure Trail. They've alwo ridden the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. Which makes me wonder, has anyone strung together a route across SD via fence row, minimum maintenance road and cowtrail? Or do we need to assign Hank this task?

Dustin

It looks like the TWAT would be pretty fun to ride...

Dustin

I think it would be pretty cool if someone came up with a Dakota adventure trail. Someone with alot more time than me would have to do it.

Dr Psyko

Look at bigdogadventures.com for a good chrnicle of the TWAT. Looks like fun. I would like to try a more western trip though. More interesting and different terrain (especially for this Minnesota boy). (Did I just say that?)
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

numb41

At one time (I guess before back operation #2), I was interested in doing the iron butt 1000 mile/24hr ride within SD bounderies.  The Adventure trail sounds like a neat challenge... the possibilities!   Not to rob this topic, but has anyone done the Custer expedition trail?

Hank

I think a trans-Dakota trail would be great.  Would make the ride to the BH on the 400 a lot more interesting, thats for sure.

No time on my schedule in the near future though either I'm afraid!

sleddog

Quote from: numb41 on September 01, 2010, 02:59:14 PM
At one time (I guess before back operation #2), I was interested in doing the iron butt 1000 mile/24hr ride within SD bounderies.  The Adventure trail sounds like a neat challenge... the possibilities!   Not to rob this topic, but has anyone done the Custer expedition trail?

I've done the 1000 in 24 couple times, 1500 in 36hrs once. All while riding through the 66 counties of the State. All 66 counties is a little over 1800 miles. No gravel though :( May have to work on a route this winter ;D

Sleddog

loingrader

sleddog, that is impressive.  i'd like to see what that 1500 mile route looked like!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: Dustin on September 01, 2010, 10:37:25 AM
It looks like the TWAT would be pretty fun to ride...

Sorry, but I just couldn't  help but giggle at that.   ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

The 66 county in 36 hour ride sounds like something I just GOTTA do.

sleddog

Quote from: loingrader on September 03, 2010, 09:22:54 AM
sleddog, that is impressive.  i'd like to see what that 1500 mile route looked like!

Attached is a gdb file of the route.
Starting in SF, a SS1000 will put you in Pierre, continue the route to Madison for 1500.

Sleddog