News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Wanted: cheap dual sport bikes for Africa

Started by loingrader, April 20, 2011, 04:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

My father is always looking for reasonably priced dual sport bikes to send over to Zambia.  He rides them for a few months or let's friends ride them and once they are proven dependable he ships them over on containers along with small tractors, medical supplies, blankets, soccer balls, books, etc.

Been doing this for a few years.  He likes bikes around $2k or less but has paid up in the low $3000's for 2nd gen KLR650s.

He likes TW200's, KLR250's, KLR650's, KLX250's, TTR225's, etc.

They will get basically zero maintenance once over there so no bikes that need any tinkering.  Must be in excellent mechanical condition and around $2000.  He lives in Omaha and I'm in south central SD.

Thanks,

Bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

What an awesome mission. I was looking into working for a few months as a moto-nurse in the African bush for a great experience. This is a service set up so nurses can travel to out lying villages to administer care. It all fell apart when the area I would have been working in erupted - Sudan.

I will keep my eyes open for stuff he may be able to send.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

He goes over every January for a week and takes a team with him of whoever wants to go.  They can use anyone and everyone, even those people who foolishly think they have no skills are a great blessing to people in Zambia. 

English is their national language, and they welcome people into their very safe country.  I worked in a pharmacy at a little mission hospital for a few days last time I went over.  It is pretty cool stuff.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

That is awesome.  I'm sure that feels pretty good to do that kind of work!

plumber mike

I've got that XR200 and a 2001 Yamaha Big Bear ATV that I'd let go of for lower than usual prices if they are going to such a worthy cause.

Both are mechanically sound.

PM me if I can help.

plumber mike

I can't help but ask myself "What would Jesus do?"

....and my little pea brain thinks he'd round up some DDSR fellas....talk them into buying some cheap dual sports, and riding them over to meet the people that actually NEED these bikes for transportation. What an adventure and a blessing at the same time. Count me in. ;D

I'll keep my eyes peeled around here for some good bikes.

greatbuffalo

Well said Plumber. I like the way your pea sized brain works ;D

loingrader

i know you don't want to sell your xr mike.  there are plenty of good bikes to go over there without you losing your spare.  most rallys that bmw only lasts the first trail and then you have to pull out the old reliable honda.  what would you do without it?  ???

i think it would be cool to round up a few of the bikes we have sent over there and borrow them for a few days to see some of zambia by 2 wheels.

ala...   http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584006 

plumber mike

I'm glad you responded so quickly, Brett.....and I will consider the link to the BMW's in Zambia an apology for dissin' my ride ;) I am painfully aware of my need to keep vintage japanese bikes in the stable so that I can forever remain on two wheels.

If the XR200 is not bound for Zambia, it is heading to town where my freinds 14 year old son will enjoy/abuse it. My freind is giving me a running 1975 Honda XL250, a mid 80's yz80(which is probably faster than both Honda's :evil) and a few hundred bucks. I saw your post and thought I'd throw those machines out there for your consideration before they are gone. I'll likely get more joy out of knowing this young man will ride this bike like it is meant to be ridden, and on a more regular basis than I do(just as I would if it went to Zambia). I will likely also get joy out of bringing a few old bikes back to life.

jacin theis

Wow, nothing like escalating.  :D  We havent even gotten to Moab and you two are planning Zambia. Ok,  my wife just asked what i wanted for my birthday next year, and i told her i would really love to just get on my bike and do a big ride to, anywhere, really. I would be down with a missions trip to Zambia. Loingrader could put together a project or something productive while the DDSR group is there, and we would have to plan a ride also. I am kidding, sorta. ::)
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

loingrader

Quote from: jacin theis on April 22, 2011, 08:47:25 AM
I am kidding, sorta. ::)

clear out a week in January, round up about $2000 for the flight over and back (with a bonus 12 hour day and a 12 hour overnight layover in London), and it's a done deal.  Seriously!  Every January a group goes over.   I think my father will be at the June rally so he can tell you all about it if you are curious. 

Barring a catastrophe, this offer will be on the table for many years to come.

greatbuffalo

The Yeti

Wow, nothing I ever imagined myself doing....but now am.  Very interesting indeed!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

plumber mike

This is what I'll be riding in Zambia ;D

I got one for the Yeti, that might bring him a little closer to terra firma to start with :P ;D

loingrader