News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Wanted: Smaller Dual Sport

Started by greatbuffalo, April 22, 2011, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Here's the deal. I'm looking for a smaller dual sport for my 19 year old son and for friends who may want to join me for a ride. (It sucks to ride alone). It doesn't have to be large, 350 - 350 cc range. An older KLR 650 would work as well but this will be his first bike. I think he weights in at about 130. A string bean.

I don't have a lot of cash to play with but I do have a. 82 Yamaha XJ 650 in pretty good shape with a few great mods on it that i would be interested in trading. It was a great bike for the street but our priorities riding styles have changed. The Yamaha has brand new tires front and rear, new battery, recovered seat. I have a fairing, ammobox side cases, and trunk for it. Only things it will need are brakes fairly soon and carbs set. I cleaned them but I don't think I got the floats right. Runs great when it warms up.

The DS doesn't have to be in great cosmetic shape but mechanically sound. He starts the Power Sports program at the local tech school in the fall and could use it as his project that he is required to have.

Any help would be great. Thanks

GB
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

how tall is your son GB? 

Any of the 250 dual sport bikes will haul 130lbs pretty easily even at 70mph.  An older DR350 would probably be about perfect.  I certainly wouldn't start out too big.

I'll keep my eyes open.  Nothing better than getting others into the dual sport scene (and motorcycles in general for that matter).

this is on the complete opposite end of the dual sport spectrum as your tiger but they can be converted to street legal for little bit of nothing in SD.  would save some coin versus a true dual sport bike. 

http://powerbrokersinc.com/show.aspx?vid=1788234&stockno=D01353

just an option. 

my little sister had a plated TTR225 as her first motorcycle and it was a fabulous starting point (as well as a hoot for me to ride).  it is in zambia now being ridden by a twenty something guy as his first motorcycle and it works perfectly for him as well.

keep your eyes open as there are deals out there.  should be able to get a klr250 or klx250 in excellent shape for around $2200.  i found my cherry 92 klr650 with 5000 miles for $1200.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

Thanks Loingrader. He's about 5'10 I assume. I think the KLR250 would be a great starter. One will come along at some point.

Lonesome Dave

I have a DS you might be interested in.  Its a 1978, yes I said "78" Yamaha, DT175 with 1450 actual miles.  It still has the original tires with the dingy points attached.  I've owned it for several years and bought it from the orginal owner.  I figure its worth 1200 to 1500 dollars depending the person.  In fact have been threatening to put it on AVDrider all winter.  I also was going to let Loingrader know to see if it worked for his project.  Trade.....maybe....I would have to think about it.  It runs good, everything works, but does have a couple of small dings.  As far as size, it hauls my big butt around, but hey, I also have a TW200 that I love.  I can send pics via email, not sure how to post pics here on DDSR.
Lonesome Dave
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Lonesome Dave

Loingrader, where's this 92 KLR you mentioned, my nephew just started looking for a dual sport this week.  If he gets one, then of course his dad will....you get the idea!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

plumber mike

I can certainly vouch for lonesome Dave's 78 Yammy. It's a showroom new museum piece :o

greatbuffalo

Dave go ahead and send me some pics, I'll send you a PM with my e-addy. Just collecting ideas right now. I had one of those Yammys  back in the day and loved it.
Thanks

David

Since you are still collecting ideas here is a KLR 250 that came up on craigslist yesterday in my area(Fargo, ND).

http://fargo.craigslist.org/mcy/2339842582.html

loingrader

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on April 22, 2011, 03:04:45 PM
Loingrader, where's this 92 KLR you mentioned

in my garage.  i snatched that baby up as quick as i could 3 years ago when it popped up on craigslist.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro