News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Greetings

Started by Frogman8, June 04, 2009, 08:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman8

Hello,
I'm Jason, Chad (Fringefan) has been bugging me about signing up for this site for awhile.  Well, I discussed this with my wife and she agreed to me spending some money on a motorcycle and the first thing to come to mind was a dual sport.  I am recovering from a back surgery so I don't know if it will be this summer or next before I make a purchase, but I am looking for some input as to what would be a good dual purpose motorcycle. So if you have some experience with a particular make or model, I would really appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks.
Best Regards,
Frogman8

The Yeti

Welcome Jason!

The bike you buy depends a lot on 1) your budget and 2) the type of riding you intend to do (all or mostly pavement, fireroads & two-track, single-track & rock gardens, 2-up capability or not, etc.).

Personaly, I ride a KTM 950 Adventure....not the best for single-track & rock gardens, but a friggin' blast on fireroads & two-track! Rails through the twisties on-pavement, acceptable for 2-up, and very comfy on the slab.  I'm actually considering getting a smaller bike (wr450r, if it ever comes to fruition) for the tight/rocky stuff, but that'll be awhile before I can afford another bike.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Frogman8

Thank you very much for your input.  One question though, what is 2-up?

fringefan

Ridin with a friend ;D

Jason is a good friend of mine and a guy Brian and I have known for goiong on what 15 years, shit I am gettin old.

Narrow it down to a couple bikes and look for the best deal. Bike is really only as good as the rider and most will do more than you can. My dream bike is a BMW F800 which I will own but you can't go wrong with either a KLR650 or a DR650. Both have their pro's and con's so it will come down to money.

Most important is that you get a bike and ride it ;)

loingrader

welcome, and i can't agree more with fringe.  find a deal and just ride the wheels off.  you will have fun.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Jared

Quote from: loingrader on June 05, 2009, 11:21:11 AM
... and just ride the wheels off.

And the bodywork, and the marker lights, and the levers, and the..............  :evil

fringefan

Quote from: Jared on June 05, 2009, 11:27:56 AM
Quote from: loingrader on June 05, 2009, 11:21:11 AM
... and just ride the wheels off.

And the bodywork, and the marker lights, and the levers, and the..............  :evil

Don't forget the radiator. Yeah those shrouds are as good as worthless but they look nice new.

loingrader

Quote from: fringefan on June 05, 2009, 01:24:37 PM

Yeah those shrouds are as good as worthless but they look nice new.

which is one of the reasons why i was forced to buy an ims tank!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

I just sold my tank for $30.00 and I have to say it look like ass with most the paint stripped off. Love my IMS.