Greetings from beautiful downtown Custer

Started by rdstrain1949, April 17, 2010, 09:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdstrain1949

Greetings all.  I'm a re-cycle-d dirt rider.  The last dirt bike I had was a Yamaha 360 Enduro.  (Does that date me?)  Anyhow, after much consideration and 1,700,000 + street miles (that's not a typo) I took the plunge this week and picked up an '09 KLR650.  Those of you who tout the KLR as being a great bike aren't too far off the mark.  I've had the bike a couple of days and put 50 to 80 miles a day on it on a variety of gravel roads.  So far I've not found anything not to like about the KLR. 

Anybody out there want to ride.  Weekends, weekdays, middle of the night, it's all good.  No hero stuff for me, I'm just too old for that.  I'll watch, take pictures, help pick up pieces, and bandage wounds.  With only 28 days left until the closure gates are opened, I'm getting anxious.  There are some good fire roads and trails in our area.  Until then then I'll have to settle for the gravel.

Thanks to all who make this web site possible,  I'm sure you are well paid for your efforts:)

Let's ride.  rdstrain49@gmail.com 
If you don't respect your elders, you'd best respect your betters. (the Duke)

loingrader

welcome!  you will really enjoy that klr.  did you get rid of your street bike?

i want to see the next 100,000 miles put on that klr.  how many miles do you average a year?  about 40,000/year for the last 40 straight years?  no matter how you dice it 1.7 million miles is pretty impressive. 

hope to see you on the trails sometime.  as much as i like to watch "hero's" attempt stuff, the helpful observer is much nicer to have around when the blood and gasoline starts spilling.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

rdstrain1949

Hey 'grader

Yes, I still have a couple street bikes, don't ride as much now, but still get in a few miles.  I'm thinking that doing 100K on the KLR will be much easier than it was to put 144K in two years on a BSA 441 Shooting Star.

Anyhow, let's ride:)

OOFDA

Don't worry about dating yourself. I still ride my MX250 on a regular basis. Am about two weeks from finishing my Bultaco Alpina. Going to shake it down around my home then some friends and I are heading for Marion, Ill (Little Egypt) then down to Kentucky to LBL (Land Between the Lakes). If you ever get close to SE Iowa give me a shout, possibly meet somewhere.
I agree with your findings of the KLR. Last year I bought a low mileage 08 and can't stay off it. With help from the guys at DDS I have sorted out everything except which windshield I prefer. Just bought a Garmin 76CSX gps and am in the  process of mastering that. Planning to attend the ride in April as soon as the location is announced. How many other vintage bikes do you have lurking in the garage?
You are the original iron man to put that many miles on a 441. I have had several Victors thru the years and they vibrate so bad they make you pee funny. No Victors left but I do have a 70 Thunderbolt and a 68 B-25, both rideable.

OOFDA

Hank

Welcome from Watertown.   1.7M miles is fantastic!

rdstrain1949

Hank;

1.7 will leave you broke up like me. :)

Dr Psyko

I was feeling good for being over 100K!

My brother had an old beat up 360. The clutch was "on or off" and we used to have fun watching people fall off the back when they would pop the clutch and wheelie off into the sunset.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

The Yeti

Welcome!  That mileage total is just amazing...I'm not worthy.  I have yet to get out on the trails yet this season, but am really itchin' to. Let me know whenever you want to ride (I'm in Rapid).
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

rdstrain1949

Yeti;

Catch me if you can, I've been riding back country gravel most of today.  Sunny, rain (mostly rain) mud etc.  Even found one "county road" that was almost a challenge.  Some ice, lots of mud, deep ruts, etc. etc.

Try to give me a days notice and I should be ready to ride.  Let me know if your'e going to "get stupid"
if so, I'll bring a camera. :)

The Yeti

I'm usually only able to ride on the weekends (stoopid job!), and this weekend the weather looks to be pretty crappy (so far).  I'll let you know when I can get out and ride.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

I might be up for  a ride Fri if anyone is interested?

rdstrain1949

Friday is good for me (so far).  Yeti, what do you mean "crappy weather"?  I washed the KLR for the third day in a row today (more rain).  I can handle the 55 mph car wash just so long is it isn't really hard water like yesterday (hail).  Besides, you can't play in the mud without the rain:)

jacin theis

if you guys have room, i would like to try out my new (to me) wr. let me know if anyone gets a ride together. been looking forward too meeting some guys who ride more than talk...
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

fringefan

Forgot I was supposed to have an exit interview on Fri afternoon but I am pretty sure I can reschedule. After 8am works best for me and I really don't care who wants to come. Where you all want to meet and what time?

rdstrain1949

10:00 AM at Sugar Shack or Boondocks?

The more the merrier.  Besides, the more guys that screw up, the more pictures I'll get:)