News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Pictures don't do it justice 2

Started by Lonesome Dave, August 26, 2013, 07:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Okay, this is kinda a copy cat thread, but I had to share.  First the back story.  Last week I was in the Big Horn Mountains camping, ATVing, and riding.  I had the mighty Tdub (feet will reach the ground).  Last year I was also there and wondered if I could handle the rocky trails on a bike.  So this year I took the Tdub, not just the atv!  Surprisingly, both the Tdub and I handled the trails very nicely.  Let me say there was a couple of trails that were very tough and steep, #224 / 220 I will remember them for a long time.  Upon my return, I was now feeling confident about my riding abilities at least with the dub.

I then see Fletch's thread, "Pictures don't do it justice."  Well that got me to thinking about Iceman trail.  I've been through there numerous times over the years, but only on an atv.  As I remember it last time, it wasn't too bad.  (about 3 or 4 years ago)  As a side note; time heals everything and also clouds the memory!

So this weekend with my new found confidence, I decided to take on the Iceman trail with the Tdub.  Now I'm not completely stupid, I brought someone along just in case I got in trouble or at least for rescue.  Well in a few words, I made it!  It wasn't pretty, and I didn't do it "trials style", I mean I put my feet down a couple of times!  Oh yea, almost forgot, it was pushed too!

So the following pictures don't do it justice, but I tried.  Oh yea,  ORedenbacher, if Hank tells you "it will be fun" or "you can handle it" don't believe him.  I won't do it again, at least not on a bike.  Now if someone wants to ride Iceman at the rally, I'll take you there and pick you up at the other end.

On the way down to the canyon.

Looking back up the trail, on the way down.

Just to prove I was there!

Don't know what everyone else calls this, but my little group of atv'ers call it the "water fall".

Just another fun ledge!

I only dumped it once.  Hit a rock that must of rolled with the front tire.  I was on my butt before I knew what happened.
Came close another time but saved it with my cat like reflexes.  Bent the front brake lever, but it was already bent from the Big Horns.  As I said before, I will help anyone who wants to try this trail, I'm sure you will look better than I did!  Maybe Tannerc will want to take his 650 Trials bike on it!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

woodsrider 53 RCSD

Fletch

I was telling Jim about that trail, i think itnis on our to do list, preferably when its cooler
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

That looks like fun.  I think I could handle it.   ;D

Bogus Jim

I nominate Lonesome Dave to lead this ride at fall rally.  ;D

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Bogus Jim on August 26, 2013, 09:22:56 PM
I nominate Lonesome Dave to lead this ride at fall rally.  ;D

I'm in, ORedenbacher and I will ride ATVs.  Cara I'm serious, I have two of them to use!  I'm not going to push another bike through there!

Quote from: woodsrider 53 RCSD on August 26, 2013, 08:23:18 PM
Is this by camp 5 ?

No Stan, its about 1 mile northeast of Erskin cave.  Its on the way towards Black Hawk from Rolling Hills.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

ORedenbacher

Thanks for the heads up LD.  Great to see someone else enjoying "memorable" trails!

Hank & I haven't had the WRs out much this year.  I'm not sure how the heck that happened.  But, no, I'm not warming up on that trail this fall.  I don't know that an ATV even looks appealing in that Barney Rubble stuff.  Maybe a hovercraft. 

Fletch

I've only done it once, the bad part is when you get to the end you have to turn around and go back. I'm up for it if someone wants to do it, but be prepared to fall, more than once ::)

Lonesome Dave

Fletch, I've always started at the bottom and go up.  Ending near Ice cave.  Maybe I'm not suppose to do that.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Are there more than one Ice Caves? The one I know and have traveled around it quite a bit and never seen anything like this.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

As far as I know, there are two Ice Caves.  The one were talking about is in the Stage Barn Canyon area.  The other is southwest of Ditch Creek Campground or Deerfield area.  It is larger and more interesting, and also has a Geocache hidden there!  Many years ago the locals would have big Ice Cream parties there.  They'd chip the ice and make ice cream.  I think it was a simpler time, probably didn't have cell phones.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on August 27, 2013, 10:27:49 PM
Are there more than one Ice Caves? The one I know and have traveled around it quite a bit and never seen anything like this.

I rode down from the top and then hit the "no vehicles beyond this point"  sign and turned around. Does the fire trail that intersects it about 3/4 of the way down come out at rolling hills? I definitely thought up was easier than down.

Fletch

Lonesome Dave

I've only started from the trail near the access point in High Meadows.  I looked and did not see any signs.  Last year it was closed, just figured it was open this year.  :-\
Older - Wiser - Faster !