News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Boots for Christmas

Started by torgo, December 17, 2011, 10:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torgo

I am going to give myself new boots for Christmas.  Not looking to spend a bundle but want nice boots.

I have a pair of THOR Quadrant boots but I guess I am blessed with a muscular calf, as I can hardly get the top buckled.

Does anyone have a solution for a good boot that may have some extra room in the calf area?

I am looking at the O'Neal Element boot, but it is hard to tell if they will fit any better.

I am also looking at the Fly ATV boot as it is shorter and the AplineStar Tech 2 Boot.

I like the short boot for a couple of reasons.  I have some MSR Reflex knee/shin guards and I can't wear them with my Thor boots as the Thor's are too tall.

Thanks
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

greatbuffalo

I've been eyeballing the Gearne GX-1. My issue with boots is that my feet are goofy as hell. I need to try them on before I buy. Most dealers keep a very limited supply on hand and some like Mid America in Sioux Falls wants 20% restocking if your special order items don't fit. Most mail order places charge 15%. I know there are exceptions like Revzella. There just is nothing like trying on several boots side by side to find the ones that work best for you. Would it really kill some of these dealers to keep a descent selection on hand?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

Quote from: torgo on December 17, 2011, 10:27:12 AM
I am looking at the O'Neal Element boot, but it is hard to tell if they will fit any better.

i had a cheap pair of o'neals.  they served their purpose but they were no were resembling comfort.  i found a better pair of boots long before i had enough time on the oneals to wear them out.  i'm not picky but they were far from comfortable. 

but the price was right!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dr Psyko

Atomic Moto, Check it out. I just ordered a pair if Gaerne Pro-tech boots. I'll let you know how they feel. They recommend the AXO enduro as a "inexpensive" boot.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Lonesome Dave

When I was in Salt Lake City a while back (buying my new love, WR250R, "r2") I went to Rocky Mountain ATV.  I tried on a bunch of stuff including boots.  I really liked the AlpineStar Tech 2 boots.  They were by far the most comfortable and easiest to walk in of all of them.  I'm just not sure about the shorter length.  At Thanksgiving I spent the week in Las Vegas.  I tried to buy some used boots, but nothing really worked.  But once again I tried on a bunch of boots at Cycle Gear.  It was down to Tech 3 and Tech 7.  Although I didn't buy them, I decided on the AlpineStar Tech 7 boots.  They were the most comfortable, but the price is $300, Tech 3 were $200.  I checked with Gage at MX Connection (in RC) he said he would give me a small deal if I bought them there. (there's not much markup in them).  Now I just have to come up with 300 bucks! :P  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

i've got the tech 3's.  comfy for a motocross type boot but never going to be mistaken for wearing a pair of tennies.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Bogus Jim

I have a pair of Tech 3's size 11 that I would sell for $25, if anyone's interested. Used 1 season. I switched to a pair of Sidi Chargers last spring. The Sidi's are so comfortable that I think I'll wear 'em to the grave.

Congrats on the wr250r, Lonesome Dave. I've put 15k miles on mine in 18 months, no troubles except a bent/cracked rim and that was my fault.

Dr Psyko

My Gaerne ProTechs finally came, they were back ordered (something to do with "big feet"). Feel great so far, a bit softer then MX boots. Any hints for breaking in?

greatbuffalo

i've been eyeballing those myself. I wait a while to see how they work for you. Do they run big, small or true?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Dr. Psyko; I read a bunch on the ADV link about those Gaerne ProTechs.  And again on AtomicMoto.com.  You/they may have change my mind.  Any regrets between buying the pro-tech vs the balance oiled.  I like the oiled ones, but for a 100 bucks more?
GB, read the ADV link and website.  Very informative and talks about the sizing.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Dr Psyko

I talked with Dave at Atomic (owner?) nice guy, very informative, interested. I debated between a 12 and 13, based on his advice I compared with some running shoes that fit me well for Euro sizes (sometimes US size 12 can be Euro size 47 or 48, etc.) and 48 fits best, 48 Euro in the Gaerne translates to the US size 13, anyway fit great as far as I can tell pre broke in, true to size as described. I really like them, wore them around the house tonight! Call Dave if you're interested. Not near as stiff as a full on MX boot, much stronger then a normal riding boot. I don't think the oiled are worth the extra hundred. I will mink oil the hell out of the Pro-techs, and I think they will pass all but the most intense swims.