News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

go pro

Started by grubbie, January 19, 2014, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grubbie

The family got me a go pro hero black. Is that sticky mount reliable? Scares me to think it might come off my helmet.

Hank

I haven't had any problems with my Sena or Contour adhesive mounts.    Clean the surface really well with Isopropyl alcohol, let it dry, and then press the adhesive on really firmly and let it set overnight.

Its probably using 3M VHB tape which is really impressive stuff.    If that tape is applied right, you'll usually break the substrate before you can peel the tape off once its set up.   (Our company builds machines that apply the stuff)

tannerc

Yup its VHB, the stuff is awesome. The place I used to work used in in place of rivets in some aluminum applications. I had to test it out myself and stuck pieces of 4" X 8" aluminum together with a 3/8 piece of VHB, couldn't get them apart, I tried pretty damn hard too.
The mount I have on my helmet is only making about half contact because of the form of the helmet and it has had some abuse and hasnt come free. I use a tether too JIC. 
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Sportfaller

steel fishing leaders make perfect tethers, FYI
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

grubbie

Have some leaders, good idea! My problem is what to tie it to, on my dual sport helmet I could rig it to the visor. For the street helmet, which is what I wear for gravel/hiway touring, there isn't anything there.

Sportfaller

Didn't worry about it on the helmet I guess... but when it was on the crash bars, or foot peg, or wherever the leaders worked well
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

tannerc

When mounted on the side of the helmet i looped my tether around the helmet strap if it broker free it would dangle on the strap.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

I used to be worried about how strong they are until I had to take one off...............
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

This might be a better way to mount the GoPro. Motorcycle mount shown at around 1:30.

greatbuffalo

I remember a while ago starting to watch this video but didn't get too far into it for whatever reason. Thanks for posting so I could get a proper look.

That's frickin funny.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?