Thinking about your next vacation, spring 2016?

Started by Harry Potter, October 31, 2015, 03:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Potter

Number one on every dirt riders bucket list should be attending a Ryan Young Training Class.
Here is a preview:       http://youtu.be/BNdi9vhpA8A

Maybe for a spring 2016 Dakota Dual Sport Riders event it could be the group going to a Ryan Young Class?
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

Bogus Jim

I have the Ryan Young video, I think it's an excellent video. Lots of riding drills.

I loaned it to Lonesome Dave... unfortunately the video does not cover the proper technique for riding your trials bike 7 miles to the trailhead.   ;D

Harry Potter

Ah but Jim you missed the point. It's the riding skills you gain that makes it easier to weave that DR650 or KTM 690 through the trees. Spending loads of time practicing a 1200GS in the sand saved my life last summer on a paved road in British Columbia when the front tire got a two inch slice.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

greatbuffalo

I would love to take one of these riding classes sometime. I've looked into Rawhyde in Colorado. 1400 bucks for 3 days. I know it's hard to put a price on knowledge, that seems awful steep for a guy on a rural nurse's wage. Although this does include instruction, meals, drinks and accommodations so I guess its not that bad a deal. I understand the food is great too, bonus!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Harry Potter on November 02, 2015, 07:48:28 AM
Ah but Jim you missed the point.

My comment about riding the trials bike 7 miles to the trail head was an inside joke. Not implying that trials skills aren't useful for the riding we do.

I got curious about trials techniques when I noticed that so many of the extreme enduro champions have a strong trials background. So ordered the Ryan Young video, and although the video is good, I'm sure the class would be an even better learning experience.

greatbuffalo

You are correct Jim, the best hard enduro riders, Jonny Walker, Graham Jarvis, Taddy Blasuziak, all come from a trials background among others. Only a few of the top riders in that field come from a motocross background. The same goes for Enduro cross.

Harry Potter

You can add Cody Webb and Pat Smage to that list of great Enduro riders that started out in trials.
As to the Raw Hyde class, skip it and the BMW class and go straight to the Jimmy Lewis class. I took the Jimmy Lewis class three times at less cost than one Raw Hyde class. For those not familiar were talking about classes for the big adventure bikes. Since Jimmy's wife Heather co teaches this is also a great class for females wanting to improve dirt bike skills. Most girls there are riding wr250r or dr650s. I have to admit that after two classes there on a 1200gs my third class "Taste of Dakar" was a blast on  Wr250r (pre Beta). The first thing Jimmy has you work on is balance. Ah that trials thing again. I haven't taken the Raw Hyde class but have met several that have and they all say Jimmy's class is loads better. You meet super nice people at these classes and many become great friends. Check out this video--   www.vimeo.com/73780196

Bogus Jim

I've read good things about the Jimmy Lewis class. If you took it 3 times, I guess that's a pretty big thumbs up.

Here's one review...

http://motorcyclejazz.com/Jimmy_Lewis_Offroad.htm

greatbuffalo

sleddog

My opinion, any training is beneficial. In a nutshell, all training is geared toward balance & how to use it. Progression is from very basic clutch control, balance at slow speed & onward toward putting all the skills learned to real life riding scenarios at the end of the classes. Some instructors are natural at teaching, some not so much.

I've been fortunate to have taken two classes given by Bill Conger & Liz Allen, former BMW Rider Coaches. They offer classes throughout the country. I attended near Kansas City.

....it doesn't matter how much you spend or where you spend your money, it's a waste if you don't stay practiced...every time you ride! Muscle memory & instinct play a huge part.

BTW, I'm back to riding after my get off in June! ;)

greatbuffalo

Sleddog, good to hear from you. I had heard rumor that you had an off but thats all I heard. How bad was it? Glad to hear your back on the horse. 

sleddog

You may remember I was planning an  off pavement
Route from South Dakota to Quesnel, BC. Well, June 1st
I left home & riding a new alternate section of the TSDAT.
I was riding a nice two track, late in the afternoon south of
Okaton. I fell through a soft spot & without hesitation the bars
swung hard left. I hit the ground, then launched & landed
feet first. I was taken to Winner Regional Hospital where they
determined I had a spiral fracture of my fibula, tibia, 6 broken
ribs & punchered lung. They Air lifted me to Sioux Falls where
I had surgery & joined the titanium club. All this while only going
about 25 mph!

Bogus Jim

Glad you're back in the saddle again, sleddog. I was wondering why your SPOT tracks stopped on the 1st day of the trip. Figured your SPOT quit working? Then later read about the accident on ADV.

greatbuffalo

Bummer. I guess its safe to say you never made it to Inuvik either....................

sleddog

Quote from: greatbuffalo on November 05, 2015, 11:13:36 PM
Bummer. I guess its safe to say you never made it to Inuvik either....................

No I didn't. But, plans are to try it again, leaving about June 1st. Off pavement through WY, MT, ID & BC I think, will be epic!