News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New trail near Johnsons Siding

Started by jacin theis, September 20, 2011, 09:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

The Yeti

It sez 'requires advanced riding skills'...I don't have none of those.  Kinda makes me wanna pee a little.  :o
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

jacin theis

i would guess thats a liability issue. i would guess that you skills easily qualify as advanced. caution is the best skill anyway.
1100 GS

Sportfaller

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

The Yeti

I might be able to get out and ride on Saturday afternoon (around 1-1:30) for a couple hours or so, will have to let you know tomorrow.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Bogus Jim

It is great that they are finally putting these trails on the MVUM. They are not really new trails of course, the single track was there long before the MVUM was created.

If you guys ride this stuff on Saturday, be sure and try 6326. Let me know how it goes, if you get through there without breaking an engine case then I am more likely to try it again.  ;D  I tried it summer 2010 and turned around. This whole area can get really rocky and steep in places.

jacin theis

so, that sounds like a challenge. I specifically put an MSR bash plate on after the fall rally and Davids care of Gerry's bike. I am thinking of a Saturday am ride. i HAVE to be home by 3:00. anyone interested?
1100 GS

torgo

:(

Sorry I missed the fall rally, but it just did not work out with events at home.  Maybe the Spring Moab rally will work out.  Anyway, I got a cheap ticket out of Rapid to fly back to work so I rode out a day early (Wed the 21st and spent all day the 22nd) riding around the Johnson siding area.  I got the map of the new single track trails from the folks at the new DNR station near the water park on Hwy 16 and decided to check out the new trails.  Ok, I decide that either I need a LOT more skill or a LOT smaller bike.  Me and the 09 KLR had zero chance of riding these new single tracks.  Maybe if I had the KDX200.  I rode a lot of 62" trails and for that the KLR was perfect.  Lots of rocks and the new skid plate really paid for itself.  I only dropped it once on a turn around when I tried to put my foot down in a hole, a 0mph dirt nap for the KLR.  I had a great time and hope to get back out again.  I left the KLR in Rapid with my sister and when I fly back into town in mid OCT maybe the weather will cooperate and let me have a couple hours of riding still.

From what I saw of the new single track they are VERY tight, a small light bike would be the ticket, at least for me anyway.
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

loingrader

sounds like my KDX200 will get some fresh gas and a trip out to the hills in June!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Bogus Jim

Quote from: torgoMe and the 09 KLR had zero chance of riding these new single tracks.

LOL! You just need to let some air out of the rear tire, the KLR is the best 430 lb. 650cc single-track bike that money can buy.  ;D ;D

I have not seen a KLR in that area, just enduros, mx bikes, and rock crawlers. But I know we have a few riders in our DDSR group that would ride a KLR on that single track. Better riders than me...

TR6310 single track in that area is pretty mellow if you want to try something easier. That is not one of the new trails though.

loingrader

Quote from: BogusJim on September 25, 2011, 08:52:36 PM
the KLR is the best 430 lb. 650cc single-track bike that money can buy.  ;D ;D

Diggin the KLR love Bogus.  You jonesing for one for yourself?

come on now, don't be ashamed!   ;D
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

Hell, I'll ride a Tiger on single track as long as it ain't muddy ;D ;D ;D ;D

Its kinda like swingin a heavy bat before you step up to the plate. After throughing around a 550 pound bike, a 425 pounder would be childs play.........I like to think that way anyhow. ???
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

torgo

I tried a couple of trails but the main problem was that the KLR had to wide of handle bars.  Some of the trail weaved between trees only 24" apart. I need to get someone to ride with or at least a SPOT.  Some trails I chose not to ride as a safety issue as I was riding alone.

:cheers
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

agspecialties

We are coming up this week. Was wondering if anyone has a gps route of this new trail. Would like to hit it when we get up there.

agspecialties

Looked at the google earth map and have figured out where the trails start