News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

TAT Planning

Started by torgo, October 10, 2011, 12:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torgo

Has anyone here done any part of the TAT?

I bought the maps from Sam and plan on doing all or parts this summer.

In looking at the roll charts and the maps, I have to say I am really disappointed.  As you know everyone is really hush hush over the route and the maps, so I figured that it was going to be a quality product.  Boy was I wrong.

Hand drawn (some illegible) roll charts and mostly unreadable maps.  I have spent several days trying to input this into my GPS.

I guess it is a case of Caveat emptor. 

IMHO the hype over the TAT maps is overrated.

:-\
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Wacked

I did Canada to Yellowstone 2yrs ago.  Awesome country!  Plan to finish up the rest over the next 2 years.

Got Bigdogs GPS file and the maps from some bicycle group.  I found I needed both and couldn't fully rely on either. 

Got turned around a couple of times......  Just chaulked it up as part of the adventure!

Wacked

loingrader

TAT is east to west Mr Wacked.

Good to know about those roll charts.  Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you don't.

Even though the maps suck, I'm sure you will have a good time riding!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

Check the "Mobius Trip" on ADV. its a Doc from NYC who took his wife on segments of the TAT. they would lock the bikes up at storage facilities, then fly home, fly back later to do another section. ALOT of photos and i think he has a source for GPS track he got from someone else. Very good info there. Goos luck, that would be a great trip.

Wacked, your wacked, you rode the CDT not the TAT. Although i haven seen pictures so of course, it never happend...:)

Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

NDave

Hey Jacin you in Bis this week?    call 258 3421 and  and get a free supper    We will try to get Gerry to buy  If not I will

Wacked

Not only am I Wacked ...... I must be on drugs today!

Maybe my lack of reading skills is why I got turned around so many times........  What can I say.

Lonesome Dave

Okay, I learned here sometime time ago that CDT was (Continental Divide Trail).  I assume TAT is Trans Atlantic Trail??  Any help for the uninformed.  Thanks.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

torgo

Trans American Trail

http://www.transamtrail.com/about/

Don't get me wrong but I bought some TREKNOW  CD's http://www.treknow.com/ and they have roll charts, maps, route sheets, and gpx files all done on the computer, totally legible at much cheaper prices.

I was actually thinking of taking a month off and doing the whole TAT, but now I think I will just pick and choose what I want. 

Bogus Jim

The TREKNOW guy runs a tour, but it's $$$ as you would expect for any full-service tour. (I'm pretty sure it's the same guy, anyway). Looks like an awesome route though.

http://Mex2Can.com/

I am kind of intrigued by this 2-week loop on ADVRider; it covers part of the CDT, Pony Express and Trans Cont Railroad. Plus, for those living close to the Hills, you can ride to Rawlings in a day so you don't have to burn a bunch of time just getting to the start point and then getting home again.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647968&page=3

Anyway, keep us posted on your TAT plans next summer torgo. I can't take a month off but I'd like to do 2 weeks somewhere west of here, I'm sure the western TAT would be cool.

greatbuffalo

Several reports I've read about the TAT discuss episodes of the route taking riders onto private land where the landowners are not real dual sport friendly. 

The ride that intrigues me is the report that showed up on ADV for the Lewis and Clark trail. That would be a hoot and lots of places most will never get near.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

torgo

I just finished inputting all the data into my Delorme TOPO 9.0.  I have heard of that problem also.  I kept a pretty good eye on where I was going and in only a few places did the route take you off a defined road.  The Delorme software as I had it set gave me an error if I tried to route off a road.  I set up my preferences for unimproved roads and fire roads so it would route where I wanted. 

Anyone want to tag along next summer?

:chug

Bogus Jim

QuoteAnyone want to tag along next summer?

Maybe, what sections of the TAT are you riding? I like mountains and desert, the flat eastern U.S. is for squirrels. I'm not biased or anything...  :D

torgo

Well I have a friend from Alaska who want to ride it also, but I told him that I might want to do some pre-running before we tackle the whole thing. 

I was thinking of starting in New Mexico and running it to Moab.  Maybe in the spring.

jacin theis

i might be in for that ride if you'd have me. Oh, it sounds like fun!   Especially since i got the least amount of riding in this summer that i have for years.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS