News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Performance Shocks (read: expensive)

Started by jacin theis, January 04, 2012, 08:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

So i am going to get rid of the stock shocks and drop the cash for some serious performance ones. This is for my 1100 GS BMW. Can anyone tell me actual experience of Ohlins, Wilbers and Elkas? I am leaing towards the Elkas, as they have more flexability between road and dirt riding, but they are of course the most expensive. Elka also was the first to respond to my inquiry, and the rep was very freindly and helpful, even thought he was french Canadian :evil.  I realize that some of you are going to give me the whole get a KLR, KTM talk, but i really do like the feel of my GS, its cheap and paid for. Also there is a market to sell the shocks used if it ever comes to that. ::)  All right, i have pled my case, lets hear it.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/catalog/Reclist2010_07506-10_1.pdf

http://wilbersamerica.com/
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Sportfaller

There was a great ride report from a couple that spent a few years going around the world 2 up on a 1150, and this was their conclusion on suspension:

"Best suspension?
Hyperpro, hands down. Those that are in the planning stages of a bigger trip - please forget all the hype about Öhlins and Wilbers that you see and hear. In this RR you can see how little they lasted under the same bike in direct comparison. We spent SILLY CRAZY amounts of money on repairing Wilbers and Öhlins while the Hyperpro just worked!
Margus

Here were the stats:
Our RTW put into numbers:

Time taken: 1126 days
    Distance covered: 170 564 kilometers (105 984 miles)
    Countries visited: 71 (Estonia, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, France, United Kingdom, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, United States of America, Canada, Australia, Timor Leste, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Iran, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Yemen, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique, Republic of South Africa, Lesotho, Namibia, Angola, Congo, Gabon, Cameroon, Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Mali, Mauritania, (Western Sahara), Morocco, (Gibraltar), Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia)
    Nights slept in the tent: 369
    Highest temperature: +46C (114.8F) (Dasht-e-Lut desert, Islamic Republic of Iran)
    Lowest temperature: -2C (Bolivian Altiplano)
    Longest day by distance: 970 kilometeres (603 miles) (Argentina)
    Longest day by hours: 17 hours (Alaska, USA)
    Highest speed: 167 km/h (104 mph) (following Dakar race in Argentina)
    Highest point: 5385 meters (17 667 ft) (GPS data, Chang La, Indian Himalayas - which registered higher than the famous Khardung La we also crossed)
    Lowest point: -152 meters (-499 ft) below sealevel (Lac Assal, Djibouti - the lowest point in Africa)
    Southermost point: S 54° 51' 17,5'' (Lapataia, Ushuaia, Argentina)
    Northernmost point: N 70° 13' 10,5'' (Deadhorse, Alaska, USA)
    Offroad crashes: 55
    Onroad crashes: 1
    Crashes with other vehicles: 4 (does not include small "bumps")
    Stops by the police: 37 (does not include checkpoints and military posts)
    Fines requested by corrupt police: 3 (never paid)
    Warnings from traffic police: 3
    Real fines from traffic officences: 0
    Serious illnesses endured (does not cover regular fevers, diarrhea etc): 5 (altitude sickness, bronchitis, dysentery, food poisoning, malaria)
    Stolen items: 3 (digital camera, bottle of engine oil and wood spirit for camping cooker)
    Lost items: 5 (hat, 2 straw mats, socks and undies)
    Distance covered together with other motorcycles: 1140 km (712 mi)
    Piston strokes: approx 816 000 000
    Breakdowns: 3 (completely destroyed tyre in Brazil, seized FD bearing in Laos, collapsed rear subframe in Kenya)
    Serious technical issues: 13 (6x Wilbers rear shock, 2x Öhlins rear shock, 2x gearbox bearing, 2x broken rear subframe, 1x bursted fueltank with crash)
    Bike washes: 11
    Fuel burned: 8500 liters (2246 US gallons)
    Engine oil used: 76 liters (80 US quarts)
    Engine oil filters used: 16
    Air filters used: 10
    Front tyres used: 11
    Rear tyres used: 15
    Punctured tyres: 10
    Front brakepad sets used: 6
    Rear brakepad sets used: 7

LINK:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480532&page=159
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

jacin theis

They sounds great too. Priced in the middle of Ohlins and Elkas. The 6 Wilbers and 2 Ohlins repairs from the ride report is scary. Understanding that they road 2 up, 105,000 miles, that still a LOT of shock failures. I am liking the Elkas and the Hyperpros at this point. Will see how good the response is from Hyprerpro (EPM performance imports). 

Tick tick....

Just spoke with Claus at EPM in New Jersey. Hyperpro has a 16mm shaft as opposed to Wilbers 14mm. He says this makes a big differance in the amount and flow of oil. They even have a remote reservior front if you want to spend the cash. HHMMM. Pretty impressive specs on both the Hyperpro and the Elka. The Ohlins are really starting to sound like the "GM" variety aftermarket shock. Better than stock, but really more of a mass produced, off the shelf setup. They claim custom setup, but from what i find that custom at the factory, adn the distibutor sell it as is. Elka and Hyperpro want al lot of details and will have the preload, rebound etc set up. Elka even said if i had them installed and road in (to Montreal, yes) they will fine tune if i felt it needed it.

Any other factual thoughts? I am ready to take the plunge, but value all of your input!
1100 GS

loingrader

No valuable info, but my $0.02. 

I agree that it sucks you spend a lot of money for a shock from ohlins or wilber, who make amazing products, but on the gs while the ride may be better the longevity of the shock is surprisingly short. 

The GS is such a big bike and asked to do such extreme things that even the top dogs in the suspension world haven't made a shock that lasts any longer than the stock one.  If hyperpro's design can stand up to the abuse that a big heavy "dirt" bike can dish out, i'd pull the trigger.

Few people regret suspension upgrades, and if hyperpro's (or elka's) last like they are supposed to on the GS, you will be smiling ear to ear for a long time.

It's only money!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

"It's only money" says the Pharmacoligist....... ;)

Yup, sounding like i am going for the Hyperpros. Thanks, Josh for hte heads up. Saved me 400 form the Elkas. Too bad the lead time is 5  weeks. Shoul dbe about blizzard time for us. Glad i have a new lift to install them.
1100 GS

Dr Psyko

I love watching other people spend money...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

loingrader

Quote from: Dr Psyko on January 05, 2012, 01:18:12 PM
I love watching other people spend money...

especially when it's on motorcycles!!!   ;D
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

From left field, I have a Penske on my XX and its great.   Not sure if they even make beemer shocks though.

jacin theis

Update: went with the Hyperpros. Sounds like the best specs, and the price was less than others, but not the cheapest (too bad). My experience with Klaus at EPM Performance was awesome. He asked about riding style, my height, weight, how much i carry, etc. Really made me feel like i would get shocks for me. So after talking to other distibutors for other brands, i called to order the Hyperpros. Dee was a nightmare. Didnt get my info right, wanted me to tell he what part #s, " i said i dont know, Klaus didnt give me that info". She was short and snippy. But i figure shes from New Jersey, they all talk like that.  :evil  After she sent my order to the Netherlands not once, but three times incorreclty, i think we finally got the right stuff coming. They have since hit the states and are now on their way to me. So, Friday i will be replacing my 55,000 mile OEM shocks with ones that cost half as much as i spent on the bike.   :o  I cant wait! hope to have some photos and an initial ride to let you know about this weekend. Thanks for the input. Once agin it helped. You guys are the best bunch of guys.....
1100 GS

Sportfaller

Let me know if you need a hand putting them in!

Sent from my smarter-than-I-am phone.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

jacin theis

So, they are in. Thought i would share some photos. Started the day securing the bike on the lift, tearing it down to remove the 55,000 mile OEM Showa's. Fortunalty no issues. They cam right out. I waited a while for UPS to show up after having everthing out and ready, so made a run for beer and to see if i could get steel brake line made in town. When i got home, it was 15 minutes and UPS arrived. The Hyperpro's wear packaged incredibly well. There's the shot of the old and the new. Purple? for $20 they would paint the springs black, buti figured evey time somebody asks about the purple springs, i would let them know, thats how they do it in the Netherlands.... I really dont care what the bike looks like, so $20 bucks wasnt worth it.
1100 GS

jacin theis

Carrying on.   So heres a couple of shots installed. First the rear, then the front. The remote reservior for the rear has easy to adjsut high and low speed dampening. I am still going to read up on the particulars later tonight. Then there is the assembled bike. I took a little road test. WOW! So, no nose dive dropping into corners. Thats awesome. The bike is a lot stiffer. Went from a Lincoln town car feel, to more of a Subaru or Vette feel. Stiff, but comfy. As the roads are a bit dusty, i tried to keep the speed down,  but it handles so well that when it did finally break loose, it was even on both tends. Just a nice flat drift of both tires. Very comfy actually. I did a couple of small jumps at the end of my driveway. Doesn't feel like its at the bottom instantly like before. I cant wait to hit some trails. Pilots Knob sounds really fun now. Will let you know if anything else come out of this expenditure, but for now, now buyers remorse at all. Thanks again for the input.
1100 GS

Bogus Jim

I have never seen your bike without the rear panniers. It looks so... light and nimble.  ;D

You need to do something about that rear tire though. That's never gonna work on the steeper single track.

jacin theis

Nimble like a cow. Its the german version of a rodeo. I still love it though. I have a TKC to put back on it. I wish i had two sets of wheels, but its just money right?
1100 GS

Hank

Farkles are fun.   Mount your GoPro on your swingarm and jump something really big so we can see it work.