News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab 2011

Started by jacin theis, May 17, 2011, 03:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Figured that had to be a DSLR.  I'm considering the Panasonic GH2, G3 or this more point 'n' shoot like Olympus XZ-1.  Can't decide:

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

jacin theis

the point and shoots are nice for traveling and riding shots, and are getting pretty good about color etc.. it depends on what you want to do with it. the longer lenses of DLSRs are nice, but i didnt change the lens once this trip. i also didnt get the riding shots that Josh got.

Where are Richs and Matts photos? i cant wait!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

greatbuffalo

Yeti, I'd suggest the Panasonic. They are easy to use, have some great features and take quite good photos. I've been looking at that one myself.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

The Yeti

After some more research yesterday, i've found out that the video on the XZ-1 blows.  Now considering the Panasonic LX5.  Almost as good of pics as the XZ-1 with much better video performance.  Around $470.

The 4/3rds cams (G3 & GH2) are a bit out of my price range ($700 and $1000), but the GH2 is definitely my current 'dream' camera.  Although you can't get one anywhere!  Been outa stock for about 3 months now.

loingrader

awesome pics guys.  looks like one heck of a great time.  this ddsr moab ride definitely needs to be recurring.

what were the thoughts on those who rode out and back vs hauling?  it's a bit of a trip on a dual sport bike, was the ride home still fun?

i think it is smart to have at least 1 pickup drive out (for obvious reasons) but riding out and back really increases the adventure factor.

great planning and great trip.  thanks again for sharing.

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

hellneau

I toad mine out and for me it was the way to go. Leaving Lead-Deadwood in the snow and having it snow the day after I got back made towing mine the correct choice (for me). 

I was a little apprehensive about the campground not having any running water, but Moab has a new recreation facility for showers and there is a potable water spigot on the way back to the campground that made not having water on site a non-issue.

Not to mention our nobbies did not get the wear and tear of hundreds of miles of highway riding. However - our fearless leader did know of a guy that will change tires on the bike for $30/wheel. He did a great job on my bike.  Thanks Matt, thanks Fred.

jacin theis

Hey Rich and Matt!  are you going to post some photos? 
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

hellneau

ya-ya-ya, I tried the other night and screwed the whole thing up. I have an idea of what you are thinking, 'what kind of old fart cannot post his pics'. I will try again tonight and see if I can get it up (no further comments - please)

PS how's Josh doing/feeling?

Sportfaller

I'm hanging in there, trying hard not to do anything that may slow the recovery of my shoulder. the cracked ribs are bothering me most, I sneezed today and about broke down, incredible pain. I'm still taking the pain pills, and go in for a checkup tomorrow.  All in all, I'm in pretty good shape.

Now I'm arguing with the insurance adjuster, they are only wanting to cover $1600 of the damages to the bike. I ran the numbers using BMW's parts catalog and am coming up with about $4,200. The adjuster says none of the body work is covered, nor any of the aftermarket parts. I think its total BS, and I'm sure the bank will too, seeing as they still own 95% if the damn thing. Lucky for me my agent is a rider and is going to go to bat for me, he keeps telling me not to worry, that he will make sure 100% of the damages are covered.

Still waiting to see the wreck pics so I can give everyone the rundown.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

hellneau

Glad to hear you are doing well. Keep the healing process going. I hear an adult beverage of choice is about the best tonic for those nagging little aches and pains. I will start it off for you with a cold one just as soon as I post this. I wish I had some insightful advise to help you heal faster, but I don't. Best of luck. We need an old wife for some tales. Any suggestions?

Best of luck with your insurance co. I hear they are tightening up on everything and to get a fair deal, you really need to stay after them. Keep up the good fight.

Once the weather clears up and I don't have to ride in the rain, we should get the group together for an after trip de-briefing. I will nominate our house for burnt brats and a cold one or two. Anyone interested? Matt you are welcome anytime you are in the area too. 

hellneau

ooops...forgot to add, my pics are up

the mind is the first to go.

The Yeti

Hey Josh - I can relate on the ribs.  Took mine a few weeks to stopt hurting. And, oh yeah, try not to sneeze....ever!  :o  The insurance can be a bitch, too - keep on top of that shit or they'll try to rip you off any way they can!

greatbuffalo

I can't believe they're saying the plastics aren't covered. Ask them if they have stopped covering door skins and fenders on cars.

As for the add ons. I work with my agent to come to an "agreed value" on those accessories and farkles. Those things add up quickly when you have to replace all at the same time. I knew this guy that had almost 12,000 bucks worth of farkles on a BMW when it got wrecked sitting in a parking lot. It was run over by a dump truck. He almost had to eat the total cost of farkles. Only after he sued the construction  company did he recover those expenses 2 years later. Had he wrecked it himself he would not have recovered that. There in lies the reason I'm a fan of "agreed value" coverage.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Hey Sportfaller, I would like to know the name of your insurance company, so I can be sure and use them in the future.  And remember, rehab...rehab...rehab...rehab...the more you do now the better it will be later.  Yea, that's experience talking.   Dave
Older - Wiser - Faster !

snooker

Well NOW I find this thread!  I posted at the old thread and looked a few days there and didn't realize you were so organized to have a RR thread!  I'll get some time and add comments and pictures to Jacin's photo page... 

Great trip you guys - this was the perfect weekend - the one after Mother's Day should be the time every year.   April can have periods of 40 degrees and rain -impassible, and it is WAY too hot later.  A lot of guys also go to the San Rafael Swell area for riding - similar types of terrain but more wide open for motorcycles however NO services like Moab has.  It is a little farther out I-70 past Green River.  I've hiked slot canyons there a bit but don't know the area.  FYI...

Josh glad to hear you are mending - I called the guy at Velocity Gear and ordered my body armor a week ago, sounded like you had just talked to him as I mentioned that I tried on your armor in the morning only to see you crashed in it in the afternoon - was telling him the story about how it saved your ass because the group buy ended on Sunday - and that got him to let me in on it - a big savings.  Thanks.  BTW because I had tried it on, I knew about the 2 back zippers so when the EMTs had rolled you onto your side to backboard you, she was just about to give up and CUT it off when I said wait let's try to zip off the back panel and it was just enough to allow you to be able to get your arm out and save it!  So it worked out all around.

later, -matt