News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

A Southern Loop around Wyoming

Started by Bogus Jim, October 02, 2011, 01:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

Jim.  Looking for your $0.02.

I'm impressed with the mileage you went on your yammy.  It shows how versatile those little bikes can be.

In your opinion, what would be the BEST bike for that trip?  Looks like most of the trails were pretty tame.

During the trip did you ever wish you were riding a bike with a little longer legs?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lonesome Dave

Jim, does your WRR have a 6th gear?  If so, how big a factor does that make in riding 300 plus miles a day for 4 days in a row.  Lonesome Dave 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Quote from: loingraderIn your opinion, what would be the BEST bike for that trip?  Looks like most of the trails were pretty tame.

I think you could ride just about any dual sport, from 250 to 1200GS. Probably even a wee strom, although there might be some ground clearance issues on trail 412 or Otter Creek. One caveat - everything was bone dry when I rode it. I think some of it would be much more difficult when wet. But in terms of technical difficulty you do not need a small bike for the route I rode.

Quote from: loingraderDuring the trip did you ever wish you were riding a bike with a little longer legs?

The main issue for me was the lack of wind protection. I tried to stay off the highway mostly, but on the highway stretches I rode, the constant 65-70mph wind blast on the chest got tiring. I may try fitting a small windshield and see if that deflects the airflow at least up to the neck line or helmet. I used a CrampBuster on the highway and that is a nice $10 "cruise control".

Quote from: Lonesome DaveJim, does your WRR have a 6th gear?  If so, how big a factor does that make in riding 300 plus miles a day for 4 days in a row.  Lonesome Dave

It has a wide-ratio 6 speed. I don't think the 6th gear is really a factor except for highway miles and maybe high-speed gravel. There, the 6th gear is nice because it keeps the rpms and vibes down.

I averaged 35 mph for the trip so that works out to 10-hour days in the saddle.

JoniJo

I wanna go, OK?
Count me in, OK?
My bike is no longer for sale, OK?
                                       Sincerely, JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

greatbuffalo

Thanks for the report Jim. I so wish I had more time to escape lime that.

I would love to do a ride like that with the group this time of year. There is great riding in the Hills but there is so much beyond. A scoot to the Bighorns would be fun but I understand a lot of that area is closed off to trail traffic.

Jim, next time if you give me a few weeks advance, I'll try to join the fun. ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

sleddog

Great RR & pics Jim!

Do you have tracks of your route? My Brother lives in Gillette. We've ridden all 23 counties in Wyoming on our Goldwings, it would be fun to do it on the DS's

Sleddog

Bogus Jim

Quote from: sleddogDo you have tracks of your route?

I have tracks but there are some big gaps. My GPS kept saying "satellite reception lost", I don't know if the unit is dying or what; it has not done that before. PM me if you want what was recorded.

Here are links to the interactive google maps. You could export the KML from these and generate gpx tracks.

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4

Hank

Speaking of different ideas for a fall rally.. this trip or something similar would be on my short list.

greatbuffalo

Bogus Jim

There is a pretty good book available now, for anyone planning a Wyoming dual sport trip. "Wyoming Backroads" by Marc Smith, just published in Jan. 2011, so it's relatively up to date. 480(!) pages.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0974090050/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

The trails are divided into backcountry drives, 4x4 trails, and ATV trails, so you can choose the level of difficulty you want to ride. It has the famous routes like the Morrison Jeep trail and the Bridger Peak trail, and many others I've never heard of. Wish I'd known about the book, before I went on the trip last fall.

numb41

greatbuffalo

Wow, I'll have to pick that one up.

The Yeti

Quote from: BogusJim on April 06, 2012, 06:41:12 PM
There is a pretty good book available now, for anyone planning a Wyoming dual sport trip. "Wyoming Backroads" by Marc Smith, just published in Jan. 2011, so it's relatively up to date. 480(!) pages.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0974090050/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

The trails are divided into backcountry drives, 4x4 trails, and ATV trails, so you can choose the level of difficulty you want to ride. It has the famous routes like the Morrison Jeep trail and the Bridger Peak trail, and many others I've never heard of. Wish I'd known about the book, before I went on the trip last fall.

Ordered! Thanks Jim!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

JoniJo

Ordered one as well!
Thanks for the tip.        ;D   JonjJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson