News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Motorcycle Junkyards

Started by plumber mike, September 20, 2010, 11:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plumber mike

SD, ND , NE , WY , MT , CO , etc..

Does anyone know if there are any motorcycle junkyards around? Prefer West River but I'm always looking for a reason to ride ;D

numb41

Have you been to the one in Rapid?  It's run by a guy that works at Hills Materials.  I think it's on the road to BlackHawk... south of the old drive in.  Conrad is his last name, don't remember his first.  Short guy, used to race flattrack among other things.

plumber mike

No. That's a start. Is it a business or just a guy? Is that the place with all the snowmobiles?

Thanks,

Mike

Lonesome Dave

Hi Mike, I read your post and knew I could help.  Sooooo......tonight, I finally registered instead of lurking in the shadows.  I'll post an introduction when I have more time.  I forgot to get your phone number on Sat. night and you weren't there on Sunday!  :(  Could you please call me about the Honda you have for sale.  Thanks,  605-381-7155.

The guy your looking for is Doug Conrad, 605-545-0425.  He lives on Hwy 79 North (Rapid City) straight across from a little Bar (can't remember the name) but his home is next to the Box Elder creek right at the bridge.  He also sells on Ebay (or his wife does, "treasureinthehills" sellers name)  He deals with a lot of older cycles, but I'm sure he has lots of contacts on where to go next.

Lonesome Dave
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Dr Psyko

There's a great one outside the cities, just outside Shakopee. Sportcycle. Owned by a guy named Dennis, or Denny, or "Cannonball" (gotta love a guy named Cannonball). He also was a dirt tracker, and has allot of old racing machinery on "casual" display. A few acres of old bikes. Piles of hundreds of carbs, etc. He also collects nice bikes, and I once got to meet him and look at the good stuff. He likes Honda CBX, and has several old gas stations, warehouses, etc, stuffed with perfect to POS CBX. I saw an old gas station (looks ababndoned on the outside, museum inside), filled with @ 50 perfect cbx from various years.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Dr Psyko

11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Lee Bruns

are there parts in particular you ar elooking for? I have a personal salvage yard behind my garage, inside the fence. All street bikes though.

plumber mike

Thank you guys. I was looking for a headlight assembly for my 79 Yammy 750. The hunt is off, but I enjoy going to look around, and find things I didn't even know I needed ::) I decided the HUGE fairing might be a keeper after a few cold days, so the headlight the bike came with will work fine.

Lee- Your place sounds like a McDonald's Playplace for motorcyclists. I'm going to have to get out there one of these days. I just don't know where there is ???

Thanks again guys!

loingrader

Quote from: plumber mike on September 27, 2010, 10:55:44 PM
I decided the HUGE fairing might be a keeper after a few cold days,

if you were a klr guy instead of a bmw guy you would know that there are certain times when function is much more important than form.  (i.e. function over form)

riding an old motorcycle in the winter is one of those times.  those big old ugly vetter fairings do a great job of increasing comfort in the cold.  i love em!

and eventually you may come to appreciate their aesthetic value as well.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

snooker

Quote from: loingrader on September 28, 2010, 10:31:20 AM
if you were a klr guy instead of a bmw guy ...
Oh Snap!  You gonna take that, plumber man?  Mikey is *no* BMW guy, c'mon!  Have you not seen his hole saw drill attachment used for a kickstand extender?  Or his Action Packer rear top box?     Actually neither am I for that matter, the XCountry is sexy and fuel injected but we don't wear Touratech and have $1000 side cases, hehehe.  After 40+ years of motorsickles, I never thought I'd own a BMW until this little siren called to me.  I might put round smiley faces on over the BMW badges  ;D       Down here the BMW dealer is across the street from the dealer I go to...  Motoadventure Kawasaki!

p.s. does anybody have NDave's email address, I want to send him something...

plumber mike

Yeah. I'm going to take that. Consider the source. A man who feels his motorcycle is superior based solely on price(and the color :-*). KLR riders are a very closed minded group. I have the cheapest BMW ever made. I purchased it after carefully considering the DR,KLR,XRL and a few others. I kept an open mind and this is the decision I made, given my limited funding. The ultimate german KLR IMHO. All my modifications have been carefully thought out(TT heard about a few, and copied some)and have undergone extensive field testing. I cordially invite Brett to ride this engineering marvel, and he too, will be a believer.

Xcountry-Stompin' KLR's and Dominating DDSR since 2009 :evil

jacin theis

Mike, did ya notice that all the flatlanders rode KLRs? might be a matching of the bike to the terrain?  :D   We'll have to have them all out again, and settle this over a beer or five.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

loingrader

bottom line...   i like motorcycles. 

i'd ride a raked out custom chopper or a honda trail 50 or anything in between and be smiling ear to ear the entire time.

i like my klr because i can beat on it or drop it off a cliff or light it on fire and i'm not out much.  for the riding i do on it, it works.  i can slab it out to the hills at 85mph hauling a mountain of gear, ride singletrack boulder strewn hillclimbs and then slab it back home.  not too many $1200 bikes that can do it that well.  plus it is rather satisfying going crazy places on a klr that people can't go on much better (lighter, faster, better suspended, etc, etc, etc, ETC) bikes.

if i was on a bike costing even 3 or 4 grand off road, i wouldn't have near as much fun.

like driving an old samurai on 33's off road versus a new 4 door jeep rubi.  i'd take the sami anyday.

i actually really like bmw's.  riding my uncles rt1150 about 600 miles one day was what got me really excited about road motorcycles again.

it's all in good fun.

so how about that motorcycle junkyard?

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lee Bruns

Quote from: plumber mike on September 27, 2010, 10:55:44 PM
Thank you guys. I was looking for a headlight assembly for my 79 Yammy 750. The hunt is off, but I enjoy going to look around, and find things I didn't even know I needed ::) I decided the HUGE fairing might be a keeper after a few cold days, so the headlight the bike came with will work fine.

Lee- Your place sounds like a McDonald's Playplace for motorcyclists. I'm going to have to get out there one of these days. I just don't know where there is ???

Thanks again guys!

GAD! a 750 triple.
Let me guess, the transmission is giving you second gear trouble.
the Headlamp should be the same as the XS1100 that I have. I have the stock style headlamp here when you need it. NO worries. Email me when you have time to come to Watertown. Poke around my parts bikes, poke around the shop, and then we can head ovre and check out the really cool stuff at Dakota Automation,. I know a guy thre.