News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Bear trap and igloo cave

Started by Ianreuter10, September 11, 2013, 12:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianreuter10

Hello to all you black hills riders. I have been looking for bear trap and igloo cave, both near bear mountian. I still have not been able to locate either of these spots but I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me. Just a few tips or any type of directions would be appreciated greatly. Thank you all for your help.
Ian Reuter

Fletch

Paging lonesome dave, lonesome dave you have a telephone call....
I would like to find these as well..
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Quote from: FletchI would like to find these as well..

They're opening some sealed caves this year. Tell your daughter she has some more spelunking to do this fall...   :)

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/forest-service-reopening-sealed-black-hills-caves-in-august/article_207a3c13-8490-5c06-8a24-f53853dcd610.html

Fletch

She's excited about it Jim, hiked up to davenport last weekend. It's still locked but had a number to call to arrange a tour?

Lonesome Dave

Hey thanks Fletch, but Ian and I have already talked about Bear Trap.  I hope someone knows something about them.  That would be fun.  To find them NOT to crawl in.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Yea, this is what I have to deal with everytime we find a hole in the ground

jacin theis

I remember when we used to climb down a garden hose to get into Davenport cave. It is really a great place to visit. You guys need to do a cave tour on at the fall rally!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Black Hawk

Black Hawk SD in the summer
Yuma AZ in the winter

KLE650 for the Black Hills

greatbuffalo

That place is amazing, and the photographer ain't too shabby either.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Black Hawk

Black Hawk SD in the summer
Yuma AZ in the winter

KLE650 for the Black Hills

Bogus Jim

The Legend of Bear Trap cave. Was wondering how the cave got its name.

http://nssmembersforum.proboards.com/thread/268

Fletch

Does anyone know where Beartrap and Igloo caves are located?

Lonesome Dave

No not yet.  BlackHawk is working on the locations.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

I found Bear Trap and Igloo today.  :)   My last day of vacation... back to work tomorrow.

Here's Bear Trap. Can you see it? Very hard to see unless you're right on top of it. Took me 30 minutes to find it.

Here's the entrance. Tunnel for a short ways, then a ladder. I couldn't see squat once inside, forgot to bring a light.

Here's the entrance to Igloo. This one is still gated, once you crawl inside. It was much harder to find, took me about an hour, but only because I was looking on the wrong side of the hill.

For good measure I also found Ice Cave. I have never been there before. That one was easy to find, the entrance is HUGE.

I took Ditch Creek to 296, then 296 all the way to 289, then south to 284 and get on 583. Bear is near 583.1E, Igloo is near the intersection of 583.1F / 583.1G. It's a pretty drive this time of year. Too rough for a car, any pickup is fine.

Fletch