Might move West.. Discuss please..

Started by Hank, April 26, 2014, 03:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

That would be a big decision, where to move too.

I really like the southern hills, Hill City and south. I'd even live in Hot Springs. Then those things that you need to make a living come into the picture, to screw it all up.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

given the choice (no concerns over jobs/etc.) I would prefer spearfish. it is a nice town, kept young feeling by the college kids, has everything you need and great access to all the fun the hills have to offer right out your back door.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

chris_king

I moved here (Rapid) about a year ago.  Here's my list of lesson learned:
* My TV is used much much less than when I lived in other cities.
* People here are less friendly, more honest and people stop and chat a lot
* The restaurant selection is so so and the sushi around town is dubious at best
* I've found that I'm suddenly interested in Skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, scuba diving, fly fishing, camping and rock hounding - never gave a crap about any of those before
* It's hard to find a decent housing rental, and when you do they get snatched up asap.
* Job market pays less but If you can make a living here, do it. 

I love it here but have the same complaint as most, its just hard to earn money.

Hank

Chris, where did you move from?

You say people are less friendly, but stop and chat a lot.   That statement makes me curious.    Less friendly than what?

chris_king

Sioux Falls and before that I lived in Kansas City.  It's just a tougher mentality here.  People seem to be less concerned about hurt feelings and are blunt and honest.  As an example when I first got here I inadvertently parked in a handicap spot at Subway and someone came in and called me out about it.  Thats a good thing imo, most people tell it like it is.

Lonesome Dave

Come on Chris, "inadvertently" were all buddies here!  :evil 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

I've said many times since moving to SD that people are friendly but very difficult to get to know. A lot of very guarded people in this state.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Quote from: greatbuffalo on April 30, 2014, 06:02:39 PM
I've said many times since moving to SD that people are friendly but very difficult to get to know. A lot of very guarded people in this state.

We all have stunted social skills from spending 7 months out of each year in doors.

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on April 30, 2014, 06:02:39 PM

I've never really thought about it, but apparently you are correct. I was talking to a guy in an airport bar a few months ago and after a few minutes he asks if I'm sure I'm from SD? I say yes and he say's that's weird because you are the only person I have ever met from SD that could carry on a conversation?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

plumber mike

Political correctness is not high on the list of South Dakotans values, but honesty seems to be.

Much friendlier than the NY I grew up in.

Service oriented business and internet business seem to do best around here, but most restaurants don't survive. Very unusual area with regards to economy and local culture.

Bogus Jim

Out riding today, saw this place north of Spearfish. 4,000 sq. ft., 5 acres, nice big shed. Nice view to the south. Asking price $569,000. Yikes. This house didn't look that expensive (just big), I think the price is due to acreage and location. There are some fancy homes north of the interstate, must be where the movie stars live. Custom log homes, etc.

Hank

569?   That seems a bit unrealistic...

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800

Bogus Jim

I thought so too. For sale by owner, maybe they're dreaming.

Hank

That is definitely on the high side..   We sure appreciate everybody's help, opinions, and housing leads.  Please keep them coming!

At this point we have a signed deal on our house, but it has a sale contingency on the buyer's end so there is no guarantee.