News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Restless Ride Syndrome...

Started by Sportfaller, May 16, 2012, 12:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on October 17, 2012, 01:21:43 PM
Yeah I checked valves on my 950 and it was a PIA, but so much of that was crash bar and tank removal.  Crash bars really suck once tweaked.
More points for the SD :)   

The 950 was WAY too big for me off road.  It was an S and way too tall.  I'm much happier off road on a smaller bike.   I've loving my WR450.

anything close to single track and the 990 is a pig. the 300 on the other hand works just fine :)  of course I can't ride the 300 to Moab ;)
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Quote from: Fletch on October 17, 2012, 01:15:25 PM

The 990's seem to be a bit better (knock on wood) no issues in the first 15,000mi. other than a gear position sensor o-ring.  I did add a drain hose to the oil tank so the oil changes are a 15 minute deal now (check the oil screen once a year as it has never had anything in it anyway). Valve adjustment is a PIA, not complicated just time consuming...   it is a fun bike though, as someone said on ADV "they do everything second best, but they do everything"   it was a lot of working chasing Bogus Jim around the hills on his 250 though ;)

Hey Fletch did you fab up your own drain hose, or buy the one from CJ design?  Thats a nice looking setup but the price is crazy.

Fletch

had the same thing as the CJ designs ( not braided steel, but I'm sure they could) made at Whistler bearing in Rapid fort $17.89. I added a little piece of 3/4" hose for abrasion resistance, works great!

Hank

Start to finish OC with filter and both screens cleaned on the SD took about 40 minutes.   Probably 20 if you skip the screens.   Not bad.

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on October 27, 2012, 04:37:09 PM
Start to finish OC with filter and both screens cleaned on the SD took about 40 minutes.   Probably 20 if you skip the screens.   Not bad.

that is probably close to what it takes me to do it normally. drop the skid plate, pull the engine drain plug, plug on the oil tank hose, remove filter, remove screen, clean screen, reinstall screen, install new filter, reinstall both plugs, fill oil tank, let run for a couple minutes, check for leaks, top off oil tank, reinstall skid plate, ride to the buck-n-gator and have a beer.... :)

not near as bad as everyone makes it sound

Lonesome Dave

That's a great idea.  I've never tried the buck-n-gator and beer after the oil change.  That gives me a goal and a reason change oil!  In fact, I'll be changing oil a lot more often now.  You know, we should get together and change oil this winter!  :P
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on October 27, 2012, 05:58:22 PM
That's a great idea.  I've never tried the buck-n-gator and beer after the oil change.  That gives me a goal and a reason change oil!  In fact, I'll be changing oil a lot more often now.  You know, we should get together and change oil this winter!  :P

well.. yea???