News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

put on the hippo hands

Started by Lee Bruns, January 01, 2014, 03:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Bruns

I went for a ride today, bundled up good, had a nice amount of ice screws in, but krikey! the hands got cold. Even with really good gloves. I should have put the hippo hands on the bike before I took off. Lesson learned.

tannerc

How do the screws handle cruising around like that? What type of screws are you using?
I dont know much about them I have my set on and tried them out on the ice once, lots 0 fun, but I read and see people being really careful with them not letting them touch anything but ice.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Lee Bruns

Gold Cutters, and I try my darndest to keep on the packed snow and Ice, avoid the clear pavement. Or, yes, it'll mess them up in short order. I just view them as a consumable each winter. If I were racing I'd never think of using them on the street. I still want to ride from Lake Pelican to Lake Kampeska on the river, but need another rider along in case things go bad. Any takers?

tannerc

Possibly interested, Moving water and ice is a little un nerving,  but im good at following  ;)
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

I'm definitely game.  I have 1000 gold screws sitting on the bench.   The 400 will be laid up for another week or so, waiting on parts, but I should (I hope) be good to go by next weekend.

As long as we are riding in well traveled snowmobile tracks etc, I'd be OK with it.   I'm pretty much a chicken when it comes to ice that is not "proven".

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on January 01, 2014, 08:48:38 PM
I'm pretty much a chicken when it comes to ice that is not "proven".

+1

tannerc

I would like to check this area out too, looks like it would be a big, fun play area.

Lee Bruns

Set a date, guys, lets go run that river! I already asked the po-po about it and they say as long as we're just going up, over and down the other side, the in town bridges won't be an issue as long as they are street legal dual sports.

Hank

The last of my parts shipped today.   I should be able to have the bike together by next weekend.     Hopefully we can get a 10 degree (or better) day.

Hank

I got my tires screwed up today.. about 900 screws total.    Also got my oil pump upgrade done, so just waiting on Santa (Rekluse) to finally get his butt here.   That should be by Tues / Wed, so with any luck I'll be RTR by next weekend.   Lets hope for some 10 degree or better temps and go ride some ice!

Lee Bruns

HHMm, now I'm wondering if I should up my ice screw order. I was only going to add 25 more, but now thinking maybe 100 more might be a better idea.

Hank

I put a brand new Kenda that had been laying around for a few years on the front.    That thing has a lot of knobs.

I really debated on the rear.  I have a brand new trials tire sitting here too, and I thought about studding that up for the back, but decided to just stud the knobby that was on the bike.   It's nearly sacked for trail riding, doesn't have a square edge on it any more, so this is a good way to get some more use out of it.   At least I hope it will - the knobs are a bit sparse, so it will be a bit of an experiment.   

Lee Bruns

MOre than adequate screws for a river run. My rear is in the same shape. Not ultimate for offroad, but still has a season or two in it considering my skill level, where I ride and the miles per year that I ride. 

tannerc

Santana show up yet Jason?  I have to come up that way Wednesday or Thursday.

Hank

Not yet.   I hope tomorrow.   Looks like it could be 30 degrees later in the week.  That will feel down right tropical.