News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Restless Ride Syndrome...

Started by Sportfaller, May 16, 2012, 12:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

Sweet! added bonus that its so fast the stickers peeled off the :D tank,,,,, 
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Sportfaller

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

woodsrider 53 RCSD

LOOKS LIKE I WOULD NEED A LADDER TO GET ON ANY OF THOSE BIKES,THEY SURE LOOK FUN THOUGH.MORE POWER

Dratharr

I picked up a TE 310 from Sturgis Yamaha this summer, and I can highly recommend that group, they went above and beyond getting some things sorted out on my bike. I have had KTM's as well, and I will say I think the KTM's are a bit better sorted out, and if you are planning on doing any road riding at all, the wide ratio transmission on the XCW series is a lot more road friendly than the close ratio transmission that most of the TE series uses. My TE is really tapped out at around 55mph, and you wouldn't want to hold that speed for any length of time. Where as my 450XCW wasn't even breathing at 60mph. But the TE feels a lot lighter on the trails and the rear suspension is maybe a little better especially if you like to ride moto once in a while. The brakes, and clutch are equally great, but I think the KTM's are a bit more polished out of the box.

Hank

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Fletch

Quote from: BogusJim on October 16, 2012, 08:23:08 PM
Wait for the 1190 next year Fletch. 150 ponies.  :o

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/tag/ktm+1190+superduke

hmm... I think that would be perfect to trade the CBR in on :)

Hank

After having a 150hp blackbird, then a 200 hp ZX-14, I decided that a 110 hp, 400 lb Superduke would be a better choice.  I've always thought they were the real deal.. Sold the 14 and bought the above 07 990.   Its pretty tricked out and it was a good buy.

It turns out, at least in my experience, that 200hp on a street bike was over the top.    The 14 was incredible in every way but when you snap the throttle open at 90 and it wheelies, it makes you wonder if its really such a good idea on the street.    :evil   

I'd imagine a 150hp 400 lb 1190 would be quite the ride.

Dratharr

sam i am

Hank, that's a sexy Katoom!  With this purchase and your 200 EXC purchase (err...experiment?), does that mean you've drank the orange koolaid?  If so, the Austrian cult welcomes you!   :D

Fletch

Quote from: sam i am on October 17, 2012, 12:44:00 PM
Hank, that's a sexy Katoom!  With this purchase and your 200 EXC purchase (err...experiment?), does that mean you've drank the orange koolaid?  If so, the Austrian cult welcomes you!   :D

once they get a taste they can't resist ;)

Hank

Actually I joined the cult a few years ago with a 950 adventure.   That is right at the top of the list for coolest bike I've owned, but I REALLY got frustrated with the maintenance...  2 water pumps in 7k miles, long oil changes, etc.    The naked SD will be easier to work on, and the water pump issue is primarily resolved, so I'm back IN.  I do love KTMs..    They really push my buttons, even if there are more reliable bikes out there  :evil

I'll keep my reliable, tractor like Norge around for the long rides, but this SD will be FUN.

That 200 EXC is a friggin blast to ride too, but I just can't quite love a two stroke.   I always wonder when they're going to blow up.   Its silly, but I can't get over it.

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on October 17, 2012, 12:57:29 PM
Actually I joined the cult a few years ago with a 950 adventure.   That is right at the top of the list for coolest bike I've owned, but I REALLY got frustrated with the maintenance...  2 water pumps in 7k miles, long oil changes, etc.    The naked SD will be easier to work on, and the water pump issue is primarily resolved, so I'm back IN.  I do love KTMs..    They really push my buttons, even if there are more reliable bikes out there  :evil

I'll keep my reliable, tractor like Norge around for the long rides, but this SD will be FUN.

The 990's seem to be a bit better (knock on wood) no issues in the first 15,000mi. other than a gear position sensor o-ring.  I did add a drain hose to the oil tank so the oil changes are a 15 minute deal now (check the oil screen once a year as it has never had anything in it anyway). Valve adjustment is a PIA, not complicated just time consuming...   it is a fun bike though, as someone said on ADV "they do everything second best, but they do everything"   it was a lot of working chasing Bogus Jim around the hills on his 250 though ;)

Hank

Yeah I checked valves on my 950 and it was a PIA, but so much of that was crash bar and tank removal.  Crash bars really suck once tweaked.
More points for the SD :)   

The 950 was WAY too big for me off road.  It was an S and way too tall.  I'm much happier off road on a smaller bike.   I've loving my WR450.