News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

DAKAL on CT90's

Started by Bogus Jim, May 11, 2014, 09:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Couple guys are planning to ride the Dakota Adventure loop on Honda 90's. I wonder if they know a 450cc or bigger adventure bike is required for that ride?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963653

Fletch

hey! I think I might be able to pass those guys!!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

tannerc

Quote from: Bogus Jim on May 11, 2014, 09:11:22 PM
Couple guys are planning to ride the Dakota Adventure loop on Honda 90's. I wonder if they know a 450cc or bigger adventure bike is required for that ride?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963653
;D

This RR is going to be awesome, Cant wait to see how it turns out.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Bogus Jim

They'll probably have more fun per dollar than the rest of us posers.   8)

Fletch

Quote from: Bogus Jim on May 12, 2014, 09:59:24 AM
They'll probably have more fun per dollar than the rest of us posers.   8)

they will definitely have a better story. in the end that is all that matters.

Hank

Baja mini bikes would be a better means of doing it!

tannerc

I would liked to see it done with stock trail 90's or 110's. The High/Low range in those little tractors would do it, might be a little slow going on the highway but man that would be fun.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Fletch

I wonder why there are no hi/low bikes anymore? Honda did it on the CB900?? in the late 70's early 80's? it would make perfect sense on a dual sport machine. that was/is my biggest problem on the 990/1190 gear it for the street and it suck offroad, gear it for off road and it sucks on the street so you end up with something that is less than perfect in both cases? 

tannerc

Quote from: Fletch on May 12, 2014, 01:38:30 PM
I wonder why there are no hi/low bikes anymore? Honda did it on the CB900?? in the late 70's early 80's? it would make perfect sense on a dual sport machine. that was/is my biggest problem on the 990/1190 gear it for the street and it suck offroad, gear it for off road and it sucks on the street so you end up with something that is less than perfect in both cases?
Yup! I agree its a sweet feature. I don't know if there is a weakness associated with it or what but its time some one brings it back.

High/Low SIX speed gear box!  :evil

Fletch

Quote from: tannerc on May 12, 2014, 03:44:22 PM
Quote from: Fletch on May 12, 2014, 01:38:30 PM
Yup! I agree its a sweet feature. I don't know if there is a weakness associated with it or what but its time some one brings it back.

High/Low SIX speed gear box!  :evil

Oh, yea... that would make my 1190 perfect!! a true 150mph trail bike ;D

Hank

Weight and cost I'm sure are the reasons why not,  but it would be cool.   

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800

Fletch

Quote from: Hank on May 12, 2014, 04:47:57 PM
Weight and cost I'm sure are the reasons why not,  but it would be cool.   

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800

I'm sure but it shouldn't be that heavy? $$ may be another matter

greatbuffalo

The high/low system in the 70/90/110 bikes is simple and fairly light. I'm sure it would be a much different affair if KTM got a hold of it. It would add at least $$ 5 grand to the bike, surely.

I love that 450cc limit put on a trail. Did it take a slide-rule, calculator and a transit to figure that out?

Love this idea, I wish I was doing it with them. I'll have to settle for hipsters' company. Still looking for anyone else looking to do this before the rally.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 12, 2014, 08:02:42 PM
Still looking for anyone else looking to do this before the rally.

I might tag along if I can get those days off.

greatbuffalo

Quote from: Bogus Jim on May 13, 2014, 07:33:14 PM
Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 12, 2014, 08:02:42 PM
Still looking for anyone else looking to do this before the rally.

I might tag along if I can get those days off.

Cool!!   Remember your ride must be 450 cc's or bigger. ;D ;D
No 250 cc kids toys for this big boy ride.   :evil :evil
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?