News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Mickelson Trail Dual Sport Ride

Started by Robmicgrn, April 01, 2014, 09:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robmicgrn

Looking to put together a ride on the Mickelson trail.  The George S. Mickelson Trail is a rail trail in the Black Hills region of South Dakota. The main trail route extends 108.8 miles ), from Edgemont to Deadwood, with approximately nine miles of additional branch trails, including a three mile paved link from Custer to the Custer State Park completed in 2007. Intermediate points along the route include the towns of Custer and Hill City, so good food and fuel stops and a short branch provides access to the city of Lead. We Could probably do the whole thing in one day!

Nearly all of the trail follows the route of an abandoned railroad branch line constructed by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1890-91 and last operated by the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1983. The trail's route is mountainous, forested, and scenic, traversing the heart of the Black Hills and largely within the boundaries of the Black Hills National Forest, so a trail permit may be required. The trail alignment includes four tunnels (very cool) and more than 100 converted railroad bridges. There are fifteen established trailheads spaced along the route but I think we should road to Edgemont and head north from there. The trail surface is packed gravel so it should be okay for about any size bike and rider ability. Should be a fun, fast run!

"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

there are some legal issues.......
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Actually I've read that motorized travel on Mickelson was legalized this year (something about boosting tourism in the Hills) but it is limited to bikes 990cc's and under. Fletch it is too bad you just traded for a 1190, it will be a fun ride.

Fletch

Quote from: Bogus Jim on April 01, 2014, 12:12:23 PM
Actually I've read that motorized travel on Mickelson was legalized this year (something about boosting tourism in the Hills) but it is limited to bikes 990cc's and under. Fletch it is too bad you just traded for a 1190, it will be a fun ride.

damn.... I could take Shawna's reflex ;D

chris_king

I'd be in for this run.  I dont know if it's feasible with my limited fuel range on the two stroke, but I'd like to look at a map of the run and see if I can make it work.

Hank

woodsrider 53 RCSD

When did they open this up it sounds fun to me count me in.

Lonesome Dave

This is going to be a blast.....breakfast in Deadwood, lunch in Edgemont, beer thirty back in Deadwood.  I wonder how many bikes, people, and horses we can run off the path?  LD   :evil
Older - Wiser - Faster !

torgo

I'm in!  A friend of mine would be in also.

Where did you read that it is open to motorized traffic?
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hank

Lonesome Dave

Yeah I think maybe!!  :-\  If a bunch of us rode that trail, we'd make CNN and probably be on America's Most Wanted.  And, Fletch would be shot on site for riding a 1190 on a 990 trail!
Kudos to Robmicgrn.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

It will be great... I think the 1190 will really shine on that trail..

tannerc

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

woodsrider 53 RCSD

Good one Rob I still think we should see if a one way one day one fee deal could be made to do this it would be a blast.

grubbie

Henceforth,....Rob McGrn will be known as Evil Rob. Yeah that's right, I said the word henceforth. I was all revved up over that post.
-The nice Rob.