Official sign up for the fall ride, Sept 17-20, 09

Started by Hank, August 09, 2009, 07:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Quote from: excess on September 17, 2009, 06:42:38 PM
So i was trying to figure out something i could do to contribute to a group meal. I can make a pretty mean    quiche (just bacon and cheese  :D) i could bring a couple for breakfast for sat morning. I haven't been to one of these rallies do you guys normally go out for breakfast? It's easy for me to bring something cause i live like 6 miles from the campground.

I happen to LUV quiche! Bring it!

Like I said, I'm bringing chili and nachos. Don't know if we should have 'em Friday or Saturday...anyone else bringing something?

R U camping with us???
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

excess

i'm planning on camping it makes drinking that much easier ;D

Hank

Since I'm coming 400 miles I'll bring the..   well I'll bring some cash so I can buy some beer or whatever else is needed  ;D

I'd love to hit the sugar shack once, if they're still open,  but it really doesn't matter all that much to me.

Crazy Uncle Larry

excess,

You da man!!! Quiche...just a fancy French name for egg, bacon, & cheese pie and who don't like pie and who don't like bacon?!! I, myself, learned to embellish this fine dish with a little chopped spinach to create a variant of the old "Green eggs-n-ham" theme. Besides, my wife gave me some slack about eating more vegetables when I did that. I remember my first quiche real well. I was watching Julia Child's show, "The French Chef" on public T.V. way back in the early "80's". I barely wrote anything down, just went out to the kitchen and put things together. I even used butter to create pastry dough instead of using lard to make pie dough. It turned out well. I even had enough dough left over to create raspberry tarts, using raspberry jelly just like she did on the show! It was great!!! And, it weren't no low fat/no fat kind of quiche/pie! I used farm-fresh eggs, butter, real cheese (no processed stuff), and heavy whipping cream. It was the real deal through and through!!!

Update on the Sugar Shack...I came through that way on Monday of this week (9/14/09) and I attempted to stop there back in May '09 and same thing...CLOSED on Mondays! One of us could ring them up and...Okay, just did! They are opened from 7AM-8PM on Friday and Saturday!!!! Anybody up for a Cheeseburger and fries?!!
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto

Hank

I think we need to hit the shack once.  Maybe Sat when we're about done riding?

Crazy Uncle Larry

Just got notified tonight...the stars are aligned...(drum-roll)...the initial surgery on my ole '81 XT500 was a success and she's ALLLLIIIIIIIVVVVVVEEEE! ! ! ! ! ! !

So, looks like Number Two/son, Aaron (Laramie) and I will be able to join you guys on Saturday morning. So, what time do you usually get moving around on Saturday morning? On the road by maybe 0830-0900 hours??? We would have to trailer up from the Whispering Pines/Countryside/Sheridan Lake Road area to the FnF (and you are talking about the area just past Trevino's Leathers and just before the old store and turn-off to Galena, right???) We will be riding, for lack of a better word, the less glamourous mounts of this expedition and feel no shame in riding in the rear of the pack so we don't hold anyone up. I have to be maintaining moderate throttle in order to get the break-in done on the new cylinder job she just had. We had her cleaned up inside, bored just .020 over and put a new Wiseco 10:1 piston and new valves/valve-train in. Also have a new carb coming tomorrow and hope to get it in and dialed before bed tomorrow night. Number Two and his bunch from Laramie won't get here until around mid-night tomorrow, otherwise we would come on up Friday evening. Just so you know, this will be a break-in and shake-down ride, so we hope too many pieces don't come off. Would have like to have had her in showtime prime but didn't want to miss the ride again after we had to in the Spring due to a new grandson's arrival.

So, what time should we shoot for on Saturday morning?

Hank

That's great Larry!   Use the moto-man method and break it in right!

Sounds like we might have a pretty good turnout after all.

I think 9am is a good, others please chime in!

Crazy Uncle Larry

Alright...I'll bite. What is the Moto-man method? Are you saying break it in like you plan to ride it in the future? We were concerned with not doing too much lugging of the motor and not too much racing until we had somewhere between 100-500 miles on it. What other school of thought is there on this?

Oh by the way...excess...if you'll bring the quiche then Number Two/Aaron and I will bring the apple crisp and peach/raspberry crisp. That's two whole crisps! Heck, I've even got paper plates and plastic forks already in the 4Runner! What do you say...Quiche and Crisps for Saturday breakfast?!!!

Hank

Crazy Uncle Larry

Well, that doesn't seem too off the mark after reading his article. My oldest son told me to just drive our new Toyota when I got it instead of following some slow and low break-in routine. It's a '99 Avalon and has over 190K on it right now and still keeps on ticking! He said for me to just drive like I planned to in the future. So, I will check some things over with my personal Mechanical Engineer and see about giving it a go! Thanks for the viewpoint.

Hank

I'm actually an ME too, but I don't claim to be an expert on break ins.  I do know a lot of bike guys swear by the method though.

Crazy Uncle Larry

Then you and Number Two/Aaron will have something in common! He's finishing up his ME at UWYO and currently works for a developing new company doing some work on an improved carburetor design for bikes (our kind) and other applications.

LOL--The reason I mentioned about checking with him wasn't to cover the pros and cons of the method...it was to figure out how we'd tell when we had done the critical 20 miles since we are running bare minimum systems just to get to this event, i.e., that means "Houston, we have a problem! This thing is being held together by baling wire and duct-tape, over!". We haven't got a speed-o-meter between the two of us and we would just have to do this by "feel". Heck, I think I may have to pick up a couple of bicycle beep-beep horns and shake the wiring to the brake lights just to meet bare minimum qualifications for being on the road! Still got some work to get done but we just didn't want to have to "stay in the barn" while everyone else rode. Hope that makes sense. As far as the "Moto-Man" method goes, makes perfect sense to me! Just hope everyone understands about the break-in method so they don't think I'm being a knucklehead speeding up and compression-braking down! Again and again and again. Oh well, can't wait till Saturday morning! Looking forward to meeting all of you! And thanks again for sharing the wisdom/knowledge.

plumber mike

I think there are plenty of trails and dirt roads here that don't require all the lights and such. We can keep you guys in the middle of the pack  ;)
I have tools,barn and duct tape should the need arise.
Will there be any riding friday afternoon(tommorrow)?

loingrader

ill b ridin friday afternoon for sure.  i'm planning on getting there just after lunch or so.  i'll be in a red chevy long box pickup with a couple of kawi's and 8 pickup tires in the back.

and the  motoman breakin is the way to do it, for sure.  i've had nothing but good luck with it.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

plumber mike

Quote from: loingrader on September 17, 2009, 10:50:48 PM
ill b ridin friday afternoon for sure.  i'm planning on getting there just after lunch or so.  i'll be in a red chevy long box pickup with a couple of kawi's and 8 pickup tires in the back.

and the  motoman breakin is the way to do it, for sure.  i've had nothing but good luck with it.

Sounds Hillbilly deluxe ;D How will we be able to tell you from the locals? :D
I'll bust ass to get my calls done and will be there after lunch ready to ride :evil