News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Started by dirtballer, June 25, 2013, 11:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtballer

Hello DS Riders,  I am from St. Paul Mn, but have deep roots in S. Dakota - Mom was raised on a farm in Madison and my Dad is from Rapid. Sister, her family and my dad still live in Rapid. I try to get out here once a year. Currently on vacation staying at the KOA in Hot Springs. I got into Enduro and Hare scramble racing a few years ago, and took my KTM 250 XCW out here for the first time two years ago, had a blast with another friend at Railroad buttes and some trails around Nemo.

Want to start riding more offroad trails in the area. I have a license plate for my 2 stroke, but still need a headlight! Wish I would have found this forum before my trip. I am going to try and find some place to ride within a hour on Hot Springs today, hopefully in the forest. Anyone with suggestions please let me know asap.

I found this Southern Hills Loop thread ,  http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=609.30

Might drive out there and look for the offroad/gravel portions after I get my forest service sticker.

Love the area! Heard they cut back a lot of the offroad trails in the past few years.

Cheers, Mark

Bogus Jim

Hi Mark,

I don't know of many trails nearby Hot Springs. If you head north of town on 385 about 1 1/2 miles, there's a gravel road to the left called Argyle Road. That will eventually run into some numbered Forest trails (north side of the road) and from there you can work your way to the Custer area.

About 1/2 way down this thread, I attached tracks for a 160-mile Custer loop that mostly stays off the gravel and on trails, maybe you could ride part of that route.
http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=1083.0

If you get hungry, the bar in Pringle has pretty good burgers.  :)

Hank

dirtballer

Thanks for the welcome, and tips Jim. I am not exaggerating when I say I rode some of the best trail sections of my life yesterday. I parked at the trailhead at Hawkwright, 10 miles or so west and south of Custer.  Trail 3235 in particular, was just a perfect gradual uphill, one of the funnest sections ever. plenty of traction, perfect condition with hardly any use - gradual sweepers left and right under trees, no rocks until the top section. I found myself able to ride short wheelies around some of the corners they were so smooth. Had to take it easy though, since I was by myself, except for my wife who was walking the dogs by the trailhead - she kept me to just 2 hours of riding. Also found some nice short hills climbs. Really glad I chose the 250 over the 200 XCW for places like this. CANNOT wait to get some more hours in the area. Hopefully I can find someone in the area that likes to ride at a moderate to swift pace, with plenty of short breaks.

Fletch

Quote from: dirtballer on June 26, 2013, 10:54:47 AM
Hopefully I can find someone in the area that likes to ride at a moderate to swift pace, with plenty of short breaks.

Hmm.. what are you doing Thursday night?? Jim and I may be able to help you out?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike