News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Newbie in Hot Springs SD

Started by Fathead, August 31, 2013, 12:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fathead

Hello all,

I'm new to dual sporting as of spring this year.  I've been riding a cruiser since 06 (still have it too), and last winter stumbled upon some of Big Dog Adventures videos.  I caught the bug, and after much deliberation between a couple bikes I bought a 650 GS.  I've had fun exploring the hills, and even rode it to CO in June.  I'm always up for a ride but my work schedule or lack of (I'm on call) is a pain sometimes, I'm just looking for some people to ride with occasionally as none of my buddies have dual sport bikes.  If you have any questions for me drop a line, I'm sure I'll have many for you all. 

greatbuffalo

Fathead, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great areas in the Hot Springs area that I would like to explore, I just rarely get down that way.

I'm sure you'll find riding buddies around here. There are some that live in the hills that get fairly often, wish I were one of them.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Welcome Fathead.  Your old riding buddies will soon be jealous of you.  They'll be asking, doesn't gravel make you nervous, when was the last time you washed it! 

We have a fall rally starting in two or three weeks.  You should join us, whether you stay for the weekend or just show up and ride a day or two.  There's a good chance were going to try the southern "Custer Loop"  which is mostly friendly to a GS. especially a 650.   The loop officially starts in Custer and ends there.  You can check out a couple of threads posted here about it.

Hope to see you there.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fathead

Appreciate the replies, my friends already ask me a lot of questions about it.  I think the best part of it all is that there are usually no crowds anywhere in the back country.  I had mine out to run some errands today and noticed a fork seal is leaking (wonder if that is covered by BMW warranty), guess that's the way it goes. 

Had my first "get off" the other day I think it was on 6221 according to Garmin, pretty good climb, loose rocks, deep ruts from atvs=boot melting to muffler.  It did inspire me to buy a spot locator (anyone use one?) as I was alone luckily no real damage to me or the bike. 

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Fathead on August 31, 2013, 02:59:57 PM
It did inspire me to buy a spot locator (anyone use one?) as I was alone luckily no real damage to me or the bike.

Yes, a lot of us have one.  Wife won't let me leave home without it!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Neither will mine. That way she can keep tabs on me. It may not keep me out of trouble but it will help my family to find my body. ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?