News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Ready to Ride

Started by Kevin, February 08, 2015, 11:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Hello,
I was excited to find this site and signed up about a month ago.  I am looking forward to meeting a few folks to ride with.

My bikes are;
2008 BMW GS1200 Adventure
2015 Beta 300 RR Race edition, ordered from the Beta BYOB web site... to be delivered in early March!

I have been riding since I was about 9, my first bike a bright orange Suzuki DS80.  Since that time I have owned many dirt bikes, a few street bikes and always wanted a BMW GS since they were introduced in the early 1980's (the one listed above is my first).  I have ridden and enjoyed many different bikes, CZ, Beta, BMW, Ducati, Gas Gas, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasiki, Harley Davidson, Penton, Triumph... etc...  I have raced and competed in Desert, Hare and Hound, Motocross and Trials.  Yes, I like to ride and every manufacturer has a little something unique to offer... 

I live and work in Southwestern ND and I am excited to meet fellow riders and have a few adventures on and off road!!

Kevin
Look ahead and you'll shred...

Hank

Welcome!   I bet the Beta will be a great bike.  I've read a lot of good stuff about those 300s.

Always good to have another bike addict around :)

greatbuffalo

Oh you BMW riders.  ;D

Just one of my faves

Welcome!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Kevin

LOL greatbuffalo, I guess that is fitting...  I am friendly most of the time... I have only left tire tracks on a couple of my buddies...  It was justified both times, they were going kinda slow!!

Hank, yeah I am excited about the Beta... I am counting the days!  Its coming with a lot of goodies, Rekluse clutch, Stillwell suspension mods for my weight and ability and lots of little stuff!!  I probably got a little carried away, but it is all stuff I would have gotten eventually!!

Hank

I checked out that BYOB program.   That's a really cool idea!   Looks like all the accessories you can add are priced the same or better than if you went out and bought them yourself, and you don't have to dink around ordering and spending 4 Saturdays installing all of it.   Very nice.

Kevin

Yes, I thought the same thing about BYOB.  The only items that will not come installed on the bike from the factory are EPA regulated items, fuel system components (e.g. larger fuel tank, and carburetor vent filter) and exhaust components (e.g. spark arrestor silencer)...

greatbuffalo

I was under the impression that all offroad bikes imported must come with spark arrestor. No?

Bogus Jim

I don't think any of the mx bikes come with spark arrestors.

greatbuffalo

My bad. Thought it was DS

Bogus Jim

Well I wouldn't consider the 300 RR a mx bike... I was just giving mx bikes as an example of something sold w/o spark arrestor.

greatbuffalo

The US forest Service  requires all manufacturers of "enduro" and DS bike to come from the facory with spark arrestor. MX are for closed course, so, no spark arrestor required by the manufacturer. It a MX bike is used outside of a closed course, ie, trail or area that is covered with grass, leaf litter, trees or shrubs is required to have spark arrestor.

This can also be a challenge when changing the stock exhaust. In that event, you must fit an exhaust with an approved spark arrestor.

Fletch

I've had good luck with the FMF Q(?) series silencers. definitely want a spark arrestor (FS approved) if you are on the trails.

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Kevin

I ordered my 300rr with the optional FMF Stealth Spark Arrester (FS approved)...  This is the first enduro bike I have ever purchased... All of my previous purchases were MX bikes I changed up to suite... 

Kevin

Beta will be building my 300rr Race Edition March 2nd!   8)

Can't tell I'm excited or anything...  ;D

Hank

Cool, I bet you are excited!

I stopped into the Beta shop in Spearfish a week ago Friday hoping to see a 300 in the flesh, and they didn't have any.  They said somebody had just picked up a BYOB 300 earlier that morning, and I asked if his name was Kevin but that salesman didn't know.