News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New to ND (williston)

Started by dl75746, March 10, 2015, 12:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dl75746

Hey guys I am moving to Williston. I am curious if i should sell my bike here or bring it out with me. Here in San Diego there is every type of riding practically out my front door. My question is, is there much in the northwest of the state? or will I have to drive a ways to fond some good stuff. I have a DRZ 400S so not the most comfortable ride on the highways. Any feedback is greatly appreciated also my name is Doug and if anyone would like to ride let me know. Thanks for reading and let me know your thoughts.

Kevin

I too live in Western ND...  Local off road riding is not abundant...  However if you don't mind loading up and driving a bit options do exist! 
Look ahead and you'll shred...

ZIGGY

Hey Doug.
Sorry, don't know much about the Williston area myself. I'm sure there are plenty of gravel roads, and a lot of big trucks. The western half of the state is pretty nonexistent for true off roading. It has potential, but only as far as private land owners go. So not very promising. Eastern half is barren.
If you decide to bring it with you, and ever make it to Bismarck, The Desert @ Kimball Bottoms has a good variety of terrain. Unfortunately it is relatively small.

Here's a site that lists the legal areas to ride.
http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/recreation/ohv/wheretoride.html

greatbuffalo

Welcome to the forum and hope you "enjoy" your stay in Williston. I took a ride through there and not where I would want to spend too much free time. Its that kind of place youu show up and work lots of hours to build a bank roll. I've been in that situation working hurricane clean up jobs for FEMA in years past.

There is some riding to be had in North Western  SD but its mostly gravel/dualsport stuff, not real off road.

The best thing is to load it up and drive south to the Black Hills when you have a few days off. This is one of the most open National Forests for off road riding. Granted this is not like SoCal but I think you'll find some great and challenging terrain to be ridden. Just a lot different from what you're used to.

The Spring Rally does happen in June if you are out here in time. Always a great time.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

dl75746

Thanks so much for the replies. Haven't logged on in awhile. I'm defiantly going to have to explore away from Williston. Just flat dirt roads here. Black hills is on my list. Hopefully when I get a few days off we could set up a small group ride. Thanks again. And I thought soft sand was the worst mud has it beat by a long shot.

NDirt Rider

There are are lots of 2 track trails in the badlands area between Medora and Watford city you can get a map from the US forest  service

tannerc

You are only 98 miles from the Short Pine OHV area in Glendive MT.
It looks like it offers some decent riding and trails.

You can even get airborne, if thats your thing  ;)
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."