News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New member from Georgia

Started by ewommack, June 23, 2015, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewommack

Hello thought I would introduce myself to the group. My name is Eddie and I'm from south east Georgia. I'm pretty new to dual sport riding but I have been riding for 20 years now. Last year I brought my gs1150 to the hills and put almost a thousand miles on it in 6 days. Amazing part of the country you guys live in. Unfortunately most of the miles were slab because I just don't know the area and laws. Around here you can't ride the public land and most of the private land is always posted. My in laws live in Johnson Siding and we are coming up for a few weeks on Monday. I recently bought a klr 650 to leave up there so I don't have to haul the bike back and forth. If there is anyone local that wouldn't mind showing a new guy around I sure would appreciate the help. Sugar Shack is on me!!

Wild Irishman

Well as long as there is a free burger involved I'd be happy to show you around that area.  Most of the local riders are familiar with the trail systems to the west (Bogus Jim trail system), east (shanks/shroeder) and the south (victoria lake) of Johnson Siding.  But if you want to do some research on your own here is a motor vehicle use map for that particular area (mystic ranger district): http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3824329.pdf.  Johnson Siding is in the top right corner of the map.  There's quite a few routes from that area up into Sugar Shack.  These maps are pretty awesome for planning routes and you can have a cached version on your smart phone so you can check your location at anytime without needing a cell signal.

That outta get you started on your journey.  Welcome to DDSR.
- Eire

ewommack

Thanks for the reply I will spend some time on the way up studying the maps looking for fun routes to try. Any particular areas a FNG like me needs to shy away from until I get some experience or just say the heck with it and dive in head first?

Wild Irishman

Yea I would stay away from the single track trails for now.  They are the dotted lines.  The dashed lines are ATV/UTV/Golf cart trails and they're much easier. 

A good spot to start out is 6301 which is just a few miles west of Johnson Siding on 44.  You'll see a little turn in to the right with a cattle gate, a small parking area and the trail leading north.  Then from 6301 you can plot a course on your map that will take you right up to the Sugar Shack.  That'd be a good morning adventure for a newer rider I think.
- Eire

greatbuffalo

Welcome to the forum. When you get out here, aside from the digital maps, stop by one of the Nat Forest offices and pick up the paper maps. While your there, if you intend on riding "trails" you ought to pick up a trail permit as well. The Black Hills Nat Forest is one of the most open forests in the country for off highway travel. Refer to the maps and stay on numbered trails and roads. They do try to post or gait those trails that are closed.

I wish I closer, I'd ride a few days with you while I'm still on vaca but not planning to head back West.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

I can probably get away for a ride or two while you are here. Let em know when you arrive and I will see what I can come up with.

Mike
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

ewommack

Wow good info thanks guys. Fletch and wild Irish if you are serious I'll pm you guys when we get in and see when a convenient time is for you. I definitely plan on getting a trail permit and I'll pick up a few paper maps. Be good to leave one at the house so the wife knows the general area I'm going to be riding so they know where to look for the body!!!

Bogus Jim

I might be able to tag along for a ride, work is kinda busy until after the 4th though.

Some gates closed due to all the rain, but still plenty of trails to ride. 3,400 miles of trails in the Hills I think?

ewommack

Jim did you ride Harleys at one time and perform weddings?

Fletch

Quote from: ewommack on June 25, 2015, 12:28:42 AM

I know a guy named Jim that did, married my wife and I ;D

actually there are two guys like that. Jim Battey (married my wife and I, and "single Jim " Fredrickson who unfortunately passed away early this year.  Single Jim had Shep the wonder dog ( actually a parrot) and was the more "famous" of the two. Both were semi-regulars at the happy tavern at Johnson siding.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: ewommack on June 25, 2015, 12:28:42 AM

No... there's a forest road called Bogus Jim, I took the nickname from that.

I did ride a Harley one time now that I think about it. I couldn't find a place to get it turned around so had to ride to the next town.

Fletch

Quote from: Bogus Jim on June 25, 2015, 10:04:01 AM

I did ride a Harley one time now that I think about it. I couldn't find a place to get it turned around so had to ride to the next town.

;D

ewommack

Turns out is was single Jim. He performed the ceremony for my wife's sister and her husband. He did a great job and was a lot of fun to talk to afterward. I'm sorry he has passed.

Fletch

Wild Irishman

Yes I'm always up for a ride just shoot me a pm. 

I actually have some pics on my phone of single jim and I at Kellys in RC.  I didnt know he died, that sucks.  He was a pretty cool dude.
- Eire