News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New member from Georgia

Started by ewommack, June 23, 2015, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robmicgrn

I'm right over the hill from Johnson Siding on Norris Peak Road (5 miles). Let me know when your going, and I may be able to join you. I am traveling next week, but will be back Friday, and should be around for a while after that (fingers crossed).
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

ewommack

Well we are here! Despite a trailer bearing failure in Iowa. Man that was a pain. I'll be picking my pass up tomorrow and running to the shop to see about tires. I'm pretty flexible for the next two weeks so if anyone wants to put around the hills and laugh at the new guy let me know :)

ewommack

Ok I went into town today and got my tires ordered then picked up my trail permit. Plenty of time before lunch so I decided to try the trail closest to me 6301 I think. Well let's just say if they are all that challenging I need to get in allot more practice before striking out on my own again! Holy crap that was hard for me. I feel like I lost a fight. I was seriously fun and I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I hit the hard road but I have so much to learn.

Lonesome Dave

I assume you took 6301 off of Hwy 44.  towards the north.  That little section is part of the DaKAL Loop. http://www.dakotaadventureloop.com/ loop. If you take 6301 until you get to 448.1E and make a right until you get to 6307, go left (north).  Take 6307 until you get to gravel road, 202.  If you go left you can bail here and it will take you out to Hwy 385.  Or you make a slight right on 202 until you get the first trail, 8029.  Take 8029 until it turns into 8031.  Continue on 8031 until it dumps out onto Merritt Estes road.  Go left it takes you to Pilot Knob trail head and then over to Sugar Shack.  There's one hill climb underneath the power line that may give you some trouble.  When you first see it, don't worry, part of the trail goes around it.   
Older - Wiser - Faster !

ewommack

Yes lonesome that's the trail I took. It was fun but took a lot out of me and it was only a couple of miles long! My front tire and brake pads come in at lunch time tomorrow so I'll be at mx connection then I'll try the route you suggested. If it's as difficult as 6301 I might have to pick another type of recreational activity!

Hank

Quote from: ewommack on June 30, 2015, 11:35:33 PM
Yes lonesome that's the trail I took. It was fun but took a lot out of me and it was only a couple of miles long! My front tire and brake pads come in at lunch time tomorrow so I'll be at mx connection then I'll try the route you suggested. If it's as difficult as 6301 I might have to pick another type of recreational activity!

Instead of a different activity, you might want to consider a lighter bike!    A KLR is a lot of bike on some of those trails.

ewommack

I have to agree Hank! I had a KLX 250 that would have done nicely but I sold it some time ago. I picked the KLR up for a song in georgia recently and decided to leave it up here so I think Ill just do some lighter trails that aren't so hard on me and the bike. Evidently 6301 was a pretty challenging two track to try to start my dual sport career off with ;D I have been putting around here locally and having a good time finding out where my limits are. The KLR is much better on the highway than the KLX was so I think its a good tradeoff. I really like just getting back in the woods away from the hard road and enjoying the peace and quite that one can find here! Man this area has some spots that just take your breath away.

Fletch

If you want to ride Monday or Tuesday after 4:00 let me know, I think I'm free.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike