News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Hello from Sioux Falls

Started by kmuhlenbeck, July 21, 2015, 02:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmuhlenbeck

Hello all! I'm brand new to motorcycling and bought a vstrom 650 in the spring time. I like exploring and seeing new things. I'd like to start seeing more of South Dakota. I'm from MN and have mostly been taking trips back there but would like to take more trips into SD. I'm trying to figure out a trip across SD into the black hills. The TSDAT is on my radar, but I'm not sure how confident I feel about doing a bigger trip solo. Unfortunately I don't really have many friends who ride that are interested or able to participate in adv/dual sport riding. I'm excited to learn more and prepare myself and equipment for adventure and off road riding. I'd love to take an adv trip in August and would be interested in finding someone else to ride with in the area!
2011 DL650A

ryani

Welcome to the group.  Another East river flatlander.  I'm from Mitchell and some friends and are loosely planning a the MINI tsdat loop.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

greatbuffalo

Welcome. I too am from Mitchell. Your not the guy I ran into at Granite City are you? I briefly met a guy there that had just bought a Weestrom and he contacted me through ADVrider.

A TSDAT ide would be fun. I've done parts of it but not the SE portion.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

Welcome. I think the TSDAT would be ideal for a first adv trip on a Strom. The only "technical" riding is some loose gravel and minor ruts in spots, and it is a great route to see the state. There is a spot on the Rosebud reservation where there is nothing but prairie, 360 degrees, as far as you can see. no fence, no power line, no roads except the one you're on. I had no idea there was that much native prairie left in SD.

kmuhlenbeck

I haven't met anyone in person yet! I'd love to tag along if anyone is planning a TSDAT route/loop.
2011 DL650A

sleddog

I live west of SF about 30 miles....Almost one of the cool guys from Mitchell ;D

GB, the guy you met at Granite City, "Tiny", was out the other day & mentioned he ran into someone from Mitchell on a DS. I thought it had to be you & Young Buffalo!

I've added an alternate route from Kennebec to Midland to the TSDAT. It stays south of I-90 & crosses back north at about Okaton. I like it much better than the original route North of the Interstate. I'm attaching the updated tracks at the bottom of this post.

Kmuhlenbeck, or others.....Contact me if you would like to join us on a group TSDAT Sept 12-14. We will be leaving Kennebec Saturday AM.  This is the link to the trip planning on GLMC    http://www.glmc.org/GLMC_Garage/showthread.php?tid=742

mitchn06

Bit late to the game here. Kmuhlenveck, I'm in Sioux Falls also. Let me know if you ever want to get out and ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition