Another Sioux Falls rider, Westside SF

Started by brockmub, March 29, 2016, 08:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brockmub

Been on the ADVrider site for a while and now finally coming over to this side a bit more.  Have a Bandit 1200 that I rescued from an abusive college student and now have done the same with a TTR-250.  Unfortunately my brother likes riding that TTR a lot, so I'm also looking for something like a DRZ400.  Usually use the DS bike to buzz out on the country roads here on the east side of the state but am planning a trip to the Hills in early June and maybe Wyoming in July. 

Wanted to introduce myself to group  :)

Hank

Welcome!   The head count for us flat lander east river guys is on the rise!

If you're going to hit the hills in June, hope you can join us for our June "rally".

greatbuffalo

Welcome from another east river guy. Good luck with the DRZ hunt. Not a lot of them out there. Good bike though.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Here's another welcome, but from the other side of the river.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

I might have a lead on a plated DRZ-E with a fresh top end for you.   And having had both and S and an E.. get an E!  Way more motor and lots lighter.

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

My friend Mike was planning to sell his.  He rode it at Moab last year and it worked great.  When he got home it sat for a month and wouldnt start.   Turned out a ring was stuck, which is odd since it worked right to the end of the trip.  Long story short it has a new top end now with maybe 2 miles on it.  I think he was asking around 2200 for it.

Sent from my TRS-80

brockmub

Remind me to ask for marriage advice in the future... you guys are pretty quick to help out. :P

Sleddog is helping me out with the locating of the DRZ so he could be recommending the same bikes you all are.  Also have a buddy over at Powerbrokers with an eye out.  I'm really looking for something pretty inexpensive($2500) and relatively lightweight, so that rules out most WRs, 650s, and the fancy stuff that some guys on here ride.

I never spend a lot on my bikes, rather spending a bit on the fixing up/repair, as well as not feeling bad when the bike gets sleepy and takes a nap.  Thanks for the tips, keep them coming!

ryani

Welcome the cult, I mean club.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to bikes.  I only get to ride them a few times a year so the cheaper the better.

I'll keep my eyes out for a dual sport in the $2500 range.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Hank

Let me know if youre interested in my friends E.   It could be picked up in Watertown.

Sent from my TRS-80

greatbuffalo

That DRZ Hank mentioned sounds like the cat's meow. Fresh top end is a good start. As long as the rest of the bike is up to snuff could be a bargain. Knowing Hank, he wouldn't steer you wrong.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Robmicgrn

"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

kmuhlenbeck

Hey there! Another member here started this SF area group on Fbook to stay in touch about short rides around here.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1713886155513606/

Also, keep an eye out for the Trans South Dakota ride he is putting together! It's over memorial day weekend.
http://www.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=2007.0
2011 DL650A

brockmub

Thanks for the tip on that one.  The PB guys have always been great to me and gave me a heads up that they had it as well.  It's pretty clean and I thought it has a set a street tires that come with it.  It's almost too nice so I'd feel bad about dropping it.  There are also no farkles to go with it which I'd most likely immediately order hand guards, beefy skid plate, and rear rack.  Considering that would increase the price, I decided to pass on it.  Now if I currently had DRZ that needed an upgrade, I'd get the one at PB. Always liked the blue plastics.

I'm going to follow up with Hank's friend in Watertown and see where that gets me.

The DDSR has been really great so far... keep the tips coming... as well as the KTM and Beta sarcasm.