News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Laramie Lap Round II... an epic ride in February

Started by Number Two, February 07, 2009, 08:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number Two

Number Two

This last section of dirt from Horse Creek pops out just a few miles north of Laramie.  It covers some interesting terrain as you leave the high plains and table mountain terrain, which is mostly flat with breaks and sedimentary rocks.  You climb the range back toward laramie, up into igneous formations that give good horizons.  Finally, roger's canyon dumps you into the laramie through it's weathered limestone. 

The views:

Number Two

As we get back to the 8000 foot mark, we get into a bit more snow.  Someone in a four wheel drive had broken trail for us, and we are able to ride around the worst of the drifts.  The going is slow now.  We have open road for a 1/4 mile or so between snow drifts. 

Number Two

About 2 miles before the blacktop back home, I come over a rise an see nothing but snow.  The next drift is so long and so wide, that I'm not exactly sure how to attack it.  As I get closer, I'm thinking along the lines of someone's signature line that I saw on advrider -

goes something like this, 'When it doubt gas it, it may not solve the problem, but it will end the suspense.'

I make about 50 yards into the snow drift on my momentum.  Fully stuck-ed, I glance around for an easy way out, but there's nothing left to do but wrestle the bike through.  I discover there really are benefits to being able to lift your bike, and I make it to the other side.  Out of breath and sweating, I turn around and see this picture.  The four wheel drive tracks dead end on both sides of this drift.  No one has made it across for the last month at least.  The good news is that the tracks ensure us that this will be the worst of it.  You might be able to spot Crazy Uncle Larry on the far side, just getting into the mix.  I bet he's wishing he stuck with the 4.5 rear rather than switching back to the 3.75 stocker.

A little zoom this time

Number Two

We slide through a few more drifts and icy hardpack like a pair of reptiles

Back to the bitumen in Roger's Canyon

Limestone lines the walls as we head down.  There are some bolted sport routes down through here, but I've only done dry-tooling here, no rock climbing.

Number Two

Number Two

Well, here we are back at the house.  While I'd prefer to travel from one destination to another, the loop is definitely better than backtracking, and this loop was great!

Number Two

A quick summary of what followed

I had a great time on this ride.  Southeast Wyoming has quite a bit of open country to explore.  Next I'd like to head into the Snowies, up in the Laramie Peak/Natural Bridge National Forest, and down into northern Colorado.

Also, the D606s worked pretty well for a snow tire.

I'll let Crazy Uncle Larry wrap up with some thoughts, then it'll be time to plan out the next ride at his place.

- Number Two

Crazy Uncle Larry

Once we topped the stepped hill climb on Horse Creek road, the hill no RV or 5th Wheel should attempt, we were almost on top of the world! It began to look like we might actually complete the trip before dark, something we're not always known to do! Many of our past adventures even started well-after dark, like the time we hiked Harney Peak starting at 9 PM, returning to the Sylvan Lake parking lot at 1:10 AM! Steadily hiking along while snowflakes as big as quarters silently drifted through the sky.(We were testing out some lights and mountain climbing gear.) Or, the time we left Laramie at 7 PM headed to Leadville, CO. Arrived at mid-night, napped for 3-4 hours and then we headed up the trail to Mt. Elbert (14,433') at 5 AM> We spent 16 1/2 hours on the mountain, returning to the 4Runner at 9:38 PM (Lost 4 toenails on that trip!). So, you see, we are familiar with the dark. Can you say, "It is our friend?!"

Getting home before dark would have been a good thing. Suddenly, as we were stopped at the crest of the hill, enjoying the feeling of being on top altitude-wise, we also noticed a definite chill in the air! We could see our breath every time we talked or exhaled. It was a sneaky cold, the type that slowly creeps into your bones through the gaps in your coat, the legs of your pants, through the vents in your helmet! We looked around and also noticed a definite lack of protected camping sites on top of the plateau, not a place to spend the night, for sure! Sometimes, you just have to P.O.R. (press on regardless!).
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto

Crazy Uncle Larry

Things continued well for a while, with one track of the road being open or us being able to ride around drifts and then get right back "on-track".

Then, we came to the point where there was waaaaaaay tooooooo much snow and not enough road! We came across a snow field drift that seemed like it stretched for about 150-200 yards.

Seems I also remember reading the same line, "When in doubt, give it the gas! It may not solve the problem, but it will end the suspense!"

About that time, Number Two/Aaron heads pell-mell onto the drift! Those 606's of his were spitting out a bea-you-ti-full white rooster tail of snow! They had spit gravel earlier.

Well, now it's my turn to start across the snow field. I chose to finesse it and go slower. BIG MISTAKE!!! As soon as my rear wheel hit the snow-pac, the Ole XT did the hula-dance and unceremoniously laid over on her left side. My left leg was trapped under her bulk, I mean slim, svelte frame. *Remember those times, as a kid, when your Mom was about to smack you or your sibling for something you had done when she told you not to? Do you remember that? Remember, how just a milli-second or two before her hand or the Pong paddle made contact with your behind, you or your sibling would automatically yell or scream and then you realized you hadn't even been hit yet? Remember that?! Well, I had one of those moments lying under the bike. There I am, the bike is laying on my left leg, I'm all stretched out on the snow and amidst the clouds of steam my racing mind is thinking, "The pipe is going to burn my leg! The pipe is going to burn...Wait a minute! You big dummy!!! The pipe is on the other side! Dude, get up! The bike is still running. Pick it up before it dies!!!" Definitely some crazy thoughts run through your mind at a time like this. **Big Thanks go out to Keith at BH Pwrsprts who convinced me to give the Moose Racing MX boots a try. I never even really felt anything but pressure on my foot when the XT went over. Told him thanks in person today when I saw at the shop.

Got Ole Betsy/XT right-side up, she got temperamental and died on me. I had a few words with her and she started up on the first kick! Just got to know how to talk to 'em! (Baby please don't leave me stranded here! I don't want to die! Come on babeeeee, I'll change your filter and put in some of that high-test oil you like so much, if you get me through this![Who was it that said in a song..."I ain't too proud to beg sometime!"?] After sweet-talking the XT, she started right up on the first kick (luv you babe!) and I proceeded to ride, duck-walk, push, ride and shove her through this monstrous snow field! We were so caught up in the P.O.R. state of mind, we forgot to take a photo of this roadside aerobic activity. Did I say something about getting cold earlier? We were plenty warm after this bit of exercise! That section of road spanked us big-time! However, I hung in there, reveved her up and made it across with some greatly appreciated assistance from Aaron. Thanks dude!!! You were a life-saver!

Crazy Uncle Larry

I almost wanted to stop and kiss the pavement when we finally reached Rogers Canyon! Oh yeah, that's right! Kind of hard to get off the bike and smooch the pavement when your kickstand is broke! (Update-2/11/09-won a used stand off of Ebay today!) No kickstand also made it interesting when I needed to stop and take a leak along the trail. I was usually able to find a post or tree to lean it against when I needed to pause for the cause. ***Speaking of pausing for the cause...isn't it interesting how you can be out in the middle of nowhere just about ready to write your name in the snow, not a soul in sight, when all of a sudden fifty-zillion cars and trucks show up!!! It's like someone called them and told them what you were about to do! Then, when they've all finally passed by, you have trouble getting things started again! Man, I tell you.

We pulled up together and were congratulating ourselves on having made it through the drifts, when what do we see?! A Toyota Prius comes around the corner and heads towards the snowfield area we just passed through. We simply shrugged our shoulders and pressed on.

It was spectacular to ride further down the road and come upon "Ole Glory", flying proud and free! HOOORAHH! Aaron snapped a photo and I snapped a salute (25 yrs, 2 months, 19 days USAF; old habits are hard to break!). We both offered up a quick prayer to the big "Ranger" in the sky, asking him to watch over our (past and present) military brothers, sisters, and their families.

A few more miles of pavement finds us back in town. Put a fork in the Laramie Lap, all 111 miles of it and call it done!!! In February no less! The ride took us 7 hours and 20 minutes. We averaged 15 mph. We filled up once and no one was left behind! A couple "End of the Ride" photos and it was time to tuck the old iron inside the garage for the night. Can you believe it?! A 28 year old XT500 and a 26 year old TT600 did the deed! 

Crazy Uncle Larry

Postscript: The "before" and "after" photos remind me of the adventurers of old. The "before" photo shows them flush with bravado and esprit de corps!

The "after" photo emphasizes the physical weariness from the trip. But the eyes, the eyes speak of wisdom gained, folly paid, and satisfaction earned from succeeding in that which few others would even dare do! But we few. We merry few. We band of brothers and sisters, we dual sport adventure riders, we simply put our noses to the wind, our knees to the breeze and do these things forthwith! We ride boldly forward, seeking adventure and fellowship wherever the trail or road takes us. We are giants among other members of today's society!

Why? Why, then, do we eagerly face such challenges and strive forward, always forward? Do we do it to live life to the fullest? Are we foolhardy? Do we do it to come sliding into home plate at the end of our meager lives all scratched up, wore out, with one ear hanging loose? Why do we do it?!!

Turn to the last two photos. I don't know about you or about all of these high-fluting words, but Aaron and I do it for the grilled ham sandwiches, the green chili stew, and the 800mgs of Ibuprofen waiting for us at the end of the ride!!!

And, what a tremendously great ride it was! Thanks to our ladies for the "kitchen passes" and "Hey!" Number One/Stephen, "We missed you, dude!" Nephew JW and Randall Dean, you better get ready for a Black Hills ride later this Summer. We are for sure going to see us some sights!

To the rest of you, thanks for being a part of this forum! Remember...warmer days are coming!

Post-Postscript: Oh yeah...if anyone makes it over by Vedauwoo this Spring or Summer, please keep a lookout for my gray Ace Hardware kneepad. I'd appreciate the assist if you happen to find it. I so hate to lose or leave gear behind.

Catch you later in the Spring and Summer. Until then, ride what you got! Ride when you can! Share it with us here and take lots of photos!

Adios!

The Yeti

GREAT report! You guys have the right attitude for our group, that's for sure!  ;D

Makes me kinda feel like a wuss with my new(ish) bike, the latest protective gear, GPS, Spot, etc......even with all the latest dual sport doo-dads, I don't think I woulda had the balls to take that ride this time if year in the ice & snow.

You guys just go to show, it ain't about the bike or the gear, it's all in the attitude of the rider! My hat's off to ya!!! 
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Crazy Uncle Larry

Thanks for the kind words, Alan.

I'd bet with a couple of 606-type tires you'd of done fine on the trip. We definitely thought about you and the guys during the ride!

Don't discount the "tools". We've already discussed the gps, spot (we are familiar with its cousin the avalanche beacon) and other goodies like bark busters, etc. We are just taking it a little bit slow and steady, getting a part here and there. If the guys in black from the lottery decided to bring me the "big check", then we'd pick up a few more things! We'd gussie up the old iron, get a few TW200s for newbies and visitors to ride, and put up a decent storage shed for all of this. Then we'd find us a couple of cherry Honda XR650Rs (mine would need the 2" lowering kit) to customize for the trail and road. We did look into the KTM 650 or 690 Enduro but figured there be more shops out on the road carrying Honda parts if we needed some. Oh well, we can dream and ride the old iron for now.

It's now my turn to string together a 2-day ride on trails/roads from RC headed west to Black Fox Campground. Then north or south along the state border for another day's ride; back to Black Fox and home the next day. We will be a caravan of 2-3 four wheelers tucked in between Aaron and I on bikes. Will be glad to have other members of our family join us for the ride. Plus, anyone else who's interested in a ride would be more than welcome to tag along. Our tentative date is sometime in early May. I'd like to get in touch with you later in the month or next to get your input on possible trails and go from there. In the meantime, Aaron and I are working with a new guy from Custer, Adam 12, getting his XT350 to the point of running. Aaron is thoroughly cleaning the carb this week and we should be seeing if we can get it to turn over and start sometime in the next two weeks. Adam 12 is originally from the Mitchell area and he was telling me the other day that he remembered some of the guys riding XT500's around there in days gone by. Said he might even know of a guy there who might have one stored in a barn or in a garage that might be talked into letting someone "adopt" it. So, it will be interesting to see how things roll through the spring and summer.

Thanks again for having this forum. It's been great to have a chance to find other dualsport riders and share in their experiences! I've been used to being the "lone ranger" for so long that it is great to be included in a group where there is strength in numbers and everyone is encouraged to "ride what you brung". Looking forward to the rally and other rides as the weather and hills permit!

Catch you later!