News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Deadwood area Camp 5

Started by flexlarson, September 01, 2008, 08:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flexlarson

Sunday I took an unexpected Dual sport ride through all of the camp five area making my way from Fish N Fry to the other side of Deadwood.
I had planned on wheelin my samurai with a buddy then along came some friends from the eastern side of the state and we ended up not having enough seats for everyone.
I volunteered to let Grant (guy from eastern sd ) ride my Dr along the access road ( area we hit on the DDS rally). He made Lit through all the area we hit unscathed but soon the trail turned into long sections of baby head size rocks and small drops. To put it Mildly he was getting hammered and very scared. When I got on the bike he was actually shaking.  I jumped on the bike and rode along the access road while the trucks drove the creek bed.
I think on the rating scale the harder sections had to be towards the upper end.
I did find that if one carried some speed through the big rock sections and looked ahead the bike would float through the rocks with relative ease. I did fall over once going about 15-20 mph as I dropped off a rock (not on purpose and washed out the front end. Luckily I was able to run out of it without injury. The bike did sustain some minor damage. I broke off the right side mirror, bent my highway peg up a bit and tweaked my right side bark buster up.
The trail is actually considered an access road to the creek and most any jeep with a good driver can get through it with minimal problems. On a Bike it is challenging but doable.

Trail report 2.
This trail begins as you leave deadwood and head towards fish n fry. As you pass the runaway truck ramp you will see an access rd on the left side . Turn onto the access road and follow it back into the trees. The road quickly turns from wide to narrow. It become slick two track that may be a major water shed in times of rain. It's advisable to be cautious as you traverse this area. As you go up the trail back towards Deadwood you begin climbing up very quickly. As you crest the top you can either head to the right and access two bit road or head to the burned out area above Deadwood. This area provides spectacular (five dollar views)This

"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

flexlarson

I just figured out how to post pics
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.

fringefan

I am in if anyone wants to run this again ;D

If a DR can do it, I am sure the KLR can manage to get through.

The Yeti

Seriously, dude, I'm jealous! You were supposed to call me!! Looks like fun!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Jared

I'd like to try it -- figure I'll wear my catcher's pads and roller blade pads and when I fall I fall. :)

flexlarson

Yeti
I didnt call because prior to going out with the truck I had to throw in a power steering pump , weld on a shock mount and rewire the alternator. I wasnt sure Id even get her going. Then I lost the alternator in the rocks ...........However the Truck has bugs worked out now . We are gonna hit trails in truck next weekend and likely camp. You and anyone else is are welcome to come. I only have two seats but the bikes can play on the access rd.

Hank

Great post and pics!   The rock crawler looks like it would be a lot of fun.    That area looks a little ugly for the 950 though, at least with me on it.

The Yeti

Quote from: flexlarson on September 02, 2008, 10:29:45 AM
Yeti
I didnt call because prior to going out with the truck I had to throw in a power steering pump , weld on a shock mount and rewire the alternator. I wasnt sure Id even get her going. Then I lost the alternator in the rocks ...........However the Truck has bugs worked out now . We are gonna hit trails in truck next weekend and likely camp. You and anyone else is are welcome to come. I only have two seats but the bikes can play on the access rd.

Understand about not knowing if you'd even get running, that's cool.

I'd luv to take a ride in the crawler next weekend! Where you guys gonna be camping, if you know yet? I might even try that access road on the KTM...been getting into some pretty gnarly stuff lately, my confidence is up! That could be a scary thing, though.  :o

fringefan

I will check if I can get some day care arranged if your interested in riding it.

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on September 02, 2008, 07:05:39 PM
I will check if I can get some day care arranged if your interested in riding it.

I'm up for it...when?

fringefan

Camp 5 area update.

Brian and I went through much of it and it looks very different than last year. No pics because we only stopped once but it has had lots of erosion so there are more rocks and one of the flat rock gardens is a little rougher than it used to be :evil. All in all it is still a fun ride with some areas getting a little more technical and some are actually got easier. We exited onto 14a so we missed the big uphill that hooks back up to the road heading back to Galena.