News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

The Quest for the 429

Started by The Yeti, October 27, 2008, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

I'm sure most of you remember the elusive "429" from the June, 2008 DDSR rally. We were led there by Chris & Gus with the warning "not to give away the secret". We all went looking for it during the fall DDSR rally, and were unable to find the road...beginning to think that it was in some alternate dimension or something!

Well, this last weekend, I went on a quest to find the 429...

Of course, I took the long way around:

Thanks to Jared for getting my new stickers to me!

Headed out north of Hill City (head north on the dirt road right next to the Xmas shop by Prairie Berry). I ran in to these guys that you rarely see in this area:

Stopped here for a little rest, there's already ice on the creek (and in the puddles on the road  :o ) with a bit of snw here and there as well:

While I was stopped, I was checking over the bike and noticed this:

Guess I've been carrying a bit too much speed over the rocks!  :o  Is this something I should worry about getting fixed right away? Doesn't seem to effect the handling of the bike (tested to 100+ mph). This happened after I'd aired my tires back up to around 25psi, and I remember the hit that probably did it, but had never bent a rim before so didn't expect to see that.

Checked the map and saw I was getting closer to the 429. However, there is a spot where 3 or 4 trails come together on the map, and you have to choose the right one to get through to the 429...I chose wrong:

After a couple more dead-ends, it was obvious which one I needed to be on. Look familiar?

Going down the 429 to this cabin, there was a lot of ice, snow & mud on the trail, made for some slow going. But I kept my confidence up, along with the bike, and didn't have any problems!   ;D  Sorry no pics of the rough spots, was too focused on staying vertical.

This was just to prove that the 429 DOES EXIST! It's not really that hard to find, either, at least from the bottom (comes out right on Castle Peak Rd).

From there, I went to Slate Creek Dam. If you go below the dam, you end up at this nice little spot with a mine or something across the creek:

Was a fun day of riding!

Some hunter got lost up here in this area last Thursday, they found his body on Saturday.  :'(  They still don't know what happened to him, waiting on an autopsy. If he woulda had one of these, might still be alive today:

And here's just a random pic that I thought turned out really well:

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

Nice report. We will have to hit that one come spring or if we get a few nice days this fall or winter.

Dratharr

Great report Alan, I would love to check that trail out sometime, that cabin looks cool what did it say on the cardboard? I couldnt quite make it out.

The Yeti

Quote from: Dratharr on October 27, 2008, 09:43:30 PM
Great report Alan, I would love to check that trail out sometime, that cabin looks cool what did it say on the cardboard? I couldnt quite make it out.

It says, "Please don't break in. There's nothing left worth the effort. We haven't replaced art (something) taken in the last one."

Dratharr

Thats sad that someone has to post something like that on thier little get away in the middle of nowhere because some asshat broke into thier cabin. :(

The Yeti

Went back to The 429 on Saturday. I think I nailed down the route. Enjoy the ride:

This tree across the road posed an interesting challenge. All the large trunks were at a 45 degree angle to the trail...I had to fill in the gaps to get across, took me about a half hour....

Yet another tree down...

But was an easy way around:

On the other end of The 429:

And, for those of you "in the know", the Dirt Peach:

cman60

We have been going to SD for the last 20 years or so in August for the Rally. The last 5 years we have taken our Dual Sports and explore the Black Hills. I found Road # 429 this year, wow what a cool road. I'm still trying to learn where to ride, each year I find more and more. China Gulch is another great trail / road to take. I need to join the off road group thats based in Rapid City. Looking forward to keeping up with this site.
Every day is a good day to ride, just some are better than others.

The Yeti

Quote from: cman60 on December 10, 2008, 09:41:59 AM
We have been going to SD for the last 20 years or so in August for the Rally. The last 5 years we have taken our Dual Sports and explore the Black Hills. I found Road # 429 this year, wow what a cool road. I'm still trying to learn where to ride, each year I find more and more. China Gulch is another great trail / road to take. I need to join the off road group thats based in Rapid City. Looking forward to keeping up with this site.

It's a fun little road, when it's dry and clear of downed trees!!  Where is China Gulch?

Welcome to the site, and don't forget to write yourself an introduction!   ;D

cman60

China Gulch is just outside Hill City, first road past the ranger station, I have a forest service map out in the shop, I'll check it out and get back to you what the exact fr roads are. Slade Dam is a turn off, off this road.

The Yeti

Ahhh, yes, I've been on that road, and pretty much all of 'em around the Slate Dam area. One of my favorite areas! Smooth & fast!! :evil

cman60

Once you get a ways down the road the road narrows and the hill side/ bluffs get tall. we think of that road as the Spearfish Caynon of the gravel roads. The road side, creekside memorial is also something to see.

hayduke.klr07

oh...but what about the 242 rd? ???
man... the first and second time i rode the 429 not a tree down.  we have had alot of wind this year.  i'm betting this spring it is going to be worse yet.

china gulch. we will have to ride this spring.  there are sooooo many great two tracks out there.

do you have the most current travel management map?  stop by the office on 16 and ask for one or two.  i'm looking at mine right know and all the pink highlighter on it and how much more there will be.

hayduke.klr07

but what about the 530.1a?  this may be better than the 429.  dry too.  watch out for the gate at the the north end!

The Yeti

The Yeti

Nevermind, I found it.  Pretty sure I've been on that one, don't know how I could've missed it. Does it go through to 389.1d?