News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

1985 XL600R

Started by Osnabrock, August 31, 2011, 10:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osnabrock

I'm ready to move on and need to start thinking about purchasing a proper woods bike.  

For sale is a 1985 Honda XL600R, titled and licensed, in Minneapolis.
I'm asking $1,400.

It has a newly bored cylinder fitted with a Wiseco performance piston.  I verified all specs during it's rebuild two winters ago and the break in service was observed strictly.

It is a kickstart only bike but starts easily once you know the sequence.  Much to my surprise, I started it in the dead of winter with one kick.  

It is a twin carb, one cylinder, bike which means it has huge torque.  It's lighter than modern KLR, XLR, DRZ's (great power to weight ratio) but lacks some, only some, of the road manners.

I have nearly a full spare engine in parts and assorted spares that will keep her running forever.

The body and plastics shows some wear.
It should have new tire soon.
It currently is without a battery but doesn't need it to run.
Some bits are slightly "wounded" but it's been dead reliable for me.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Osnabrock

greatbuffalo

Glad it found a new home. Thats a great bike.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Osnabrock

It was a great bike but it's sale made way for this........

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Dr Psyko

Congrats Mr. O. Cool Bike!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Bogus Jim

Nice bike John! 4-stroke dirt bikes are overrated, I say, let the smoke billow baby!  ;D 

I think gas gas placed 3rd and 2nd the last couple years at Erzberg.

Osnabrock

I've been keeping my eye out for a Gas Gas for a while.  There aren't too many to be had around the Midwest, however there's a parts supplier right here in MN. 
Resale value is awful, so I got a good deal. 
In all seriousness, Gas Gas has a great name in the rest of the world and is built with great components (WP front forks, Ohlins rear, hydraulic clutch).  It's also got all the wiring in place to make it street legal as the Euro version comes from the factory that way.  Now I just have to wait until Minnesota laws change, with the coming of the new year, to get it plated.
I won't be riding it cross country but it definitely fills a nice place in the collection.  I can quit beating the stuffing out of my DRZ on the singletrack.
-John

torgo

Did MN make it easier to title dirt bikes?  I see WA has and it take affect the 1st of the year.  Maybe all the states will come around to ONE MORE WAY TO ADD SOME INCOME for them and a win for me to ride what I want where I want.
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.