News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

A "Fun" Hill Climb from ADV

Started by The Yeti, October 21, 2008, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

This is from a RR I came across on ADVRider...check the videos of this "fun" hill climb...the guy on the 950 rides a lot like me!   ;D

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8155978&postcount=13
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

Bret probably has a trip planned to ride his Blackbird up that hill.

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on October 22, 2008, 07:42:25 PM
Bret probably has a trip planned to ride his Blackbird up that hill.

who told you about my trip?  i'm ready to go as soon as i can find some knobbies that will hold up to the trip to az and the 160hp the blackbird puts out.  anyone know of a good 170+ mph rated knobby tire? 

ok class, what was the rider doing wrong?

not carrying his speed thru the hill (causing excessive wheel spin) and not standing on his pegs (to lower his center of gravity, increase traction, and help steer the bike thru the rocks)

cool video.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on October 24, 2008, 12:45:30 PM
ok class, what was the rider doing wrong?

not carrying his speed thru the hill (causing excessive wheel spin) and not standing on his pegs (to lower his center of gravity, increase traction, and help steer the bike thru the rocks)

I assume you're talking about the KTM rider, and I totally agree. Also, I'm sure you had to be there, but it seems to me they all would have been better off riding more to the right, where the bigger, flatter rocks were....less small loose rocks=more traction.

Maybe you should start a "Riding Tips" thread, Brett....what do you do when you hit a large rock with the front wheel that almost (or does) stop you dead?? Or, almost rips the bars out of your hands?? I know, don't hit those rocks, right?  ::)  But, sometimes they're just unaviodable. My reaction is to always let off the throttle, which I know isn't right, more gas is usually always the answer in situations like that, right?

After I let off the throttle, then I'm usually screwed, can't get enough momentum back to get through the rest of the rocks, so end up paddling the bike through, fighting it the whole way...I'm getting better at the rock gardens, just need more practice.  :evil

loingrader

some quick tips.

1.  practice on your bike
2.  practice on a mountain bike
     a.  this allows one to learn how much weight placement affects the momentum of the bike.  (ex.  when the front tire is hitting a big rock, especially at slow speed, while standing, get your butt as far back over your rear tire as possible, arms extended and pretty much horizontal towards the bars.  this will take weight off the front tire and allow it to roll much easier over the obstacle)
(ex2.  when climbing a steep grade, get your weight forward (like you're gonna hump your handlebars) arms almost straight up vertically from the bars and torso bent almost over your front tire (for the really steep stuff)
     b.  less weight to drop on yourself
     c.  get's you in good shape

yeti, when you're standing, your body weight steers the bike much more so than your hands on the bars.  this allows one to keep a very loose grip on the bars, and it avoids situations where the bars get ripped out of your hands, because your weight on the pegs is what is keeping the bike going straight.  like on that riding tech vid where the guy goes thru the sand wash while his bars are going back and forth. 

i learned a LOT from that video. 

it is freaking standing up as you go over the really rough stuff because you are that much further from the ground if the bike starts to go over.  the thing is, the bike rarely goes over when you're standing. 

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Yeah, I need to get a mountain bike...seems like one of the more fun ways to get/stay in shape.

I do stand on the bike quite often, it's just in the rocks (Camp 5 style), or deep mud that I tend to sit down and "paddle" my way through. I'm hoping that next time I face obstacles like that, I'll keep up on the pegs...the new suspension settings have helped a lot!

Staying loose on the bars: something I still am working on! I still have to consciously tell myself to loosen up when I catch myself gripping too hard...hopefully it will become second nature eventually.

fringefan

I agree with Brett, Mt Biking is a great sport and can help anyone be a better rider on a DS.

I have been riding for a long time and the biggest adavantages that it gives you in my eyes are:

1. Picking a line; you can go down hill so much faster on a mt bike you really develope a skill for picking lines in a hurry.
2. Once you learn what the bike is capable of you will be amazed at what it can roll over and just get over with a little speed and balance.
3. Your arms, legs, and lungs are in better shape because it will beat you up more than than the DS.
4. There are more trails and they are actually better because they are mostly single track.

I have been looking for a fork mounted bike tray to  mount to my KLR so I can ride to the places I want to ride ;D I live 1-2 blocks from skyline wilderness area which is going to start to get delveloped next year for a better trail system but the ones they have now are good for a quick ride and tuff to get lost. That is the one down fall, it sucks to get lost on a mt bike because you have to pedal your ass back. If you get one let me know and I would be more than happy to take you out and if you need advice on a bike just ask Brett, Brian or myself. Ebay is a good place to get a deal or craigs list. Acme has deals on used stuff every now and then but for me I just can't see paying that kind of money for a new bike when I used to work at a shop and know what I used to buy them for. Next thing you know you will have more hobbies than you have time.

LittleJacket

Doesn't that remind you of our group and our type of riding!  Good find!
rpjohnso