News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Contour GPS

Started by The Yeti, July 15, 2011, 03:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

I got a helluva deal on a Contour GPS a couple weeks back - may have been a mistake on Newegg's part, but I jumped on it as soon as I saw it at $229, jumped to regular price of $299 about an hour later.

Here's a couple of short vids from my first ride on my GS with the cam. Since we still can't embed videos here, they'll only play on the Contour site with the GPS info.

The video quality on the Contour site is not on par with the raw files. The raw video is stunning! Audio is pretty good, until you start getting wind noise around 20-25mph.  The vids are HD 720p @ 60fps so if you have a slow computer they may stutter quite a bit. Also, the farther you zoom in on the GPS map, the more processor power it takes.

The GPS tracking is pretty cool, you can see the location and elevation while the vid is playing back. And if you click on the current GPS point, you can drag it to anywhere in the video.  Cool stuff.

http://contour.com/users/the-yeti

After you check out my vids, scroll down to the lower right corner and check out the vids from del250 at Farmingdale.

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Bogus Jim

Looks pretty good. It did a decent job on the exposure when you rode through the tunnel... some lower-end cameras really have trouble with those situations. I think maybe the GPS is off a bit though, it shows 52.7 mph at one point and I'm pretty sure the speed limit on Iron Mountain road is only 25-30 mph.  ;)

You definitely got a deal - I have seen the GoPro for $259 but have not seen the Contour lower than $299. I am thinking about getting a GoPro or Contour. Also looking at the POV.HD, but that's double the money.

The Yeti

Yeah, I've been lusting after a POV for a long time...that 'looped' recording thing is just too cool. Not to mention the LCD screen, the ability to power it off the bike, etc.

If you got any ?? about the Contour, let me know. I'm learning more about it every day.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"