News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Tubless system

Started by KLC63, March 15, 2016, 12:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLC63

Is anyone running the tubless system, and how do you like it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

Bogus Jim

Lonesome Dave ran tubliss for a while, he will probably chime in.

I'd like to try it on my two stroke. I don't really care about the convenience of fixing flats with a plug kit, but I'd like to run 5-10 psi without getting pinch flats.

Seems like people who've used it either love it or hate it, the praise for tubliss is not unanimous.

Lonesome Dave

I like the tubliss.  However, I'm not sure I'm going to spend the money again.  At least not on the front.  In the dirt you won't feel the imbalance of the front tire, but on the highway you do.  Never felt it on the back tire, but I still added the weights.  I put weights on the opposite side and it pretty much took care of it.  One of the big things they market is the gyro effect of the spinning tubliss setup is much lighter than a rim/tire/HDtube.  Therefore easier and faster to turn different direction.  Don't know if you really feel it, but the theory is correct.  Before a ride I had to check 4 settings, 2 for each tire.  110 to 120 psi for the bead lock and then whatever you put in for the tire pressure.  I would run 9-10 lbs on the front and 12 on the rear.

So for now, I might put a tubliss on the rear.  But, don't forget, you almost always you need to run "slime" to keep everything sealed.
That my 2 cents!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

KLC63

Thanks Guys ,
Please keep the info coming, I try to gain as much knowledge as I can.

Robmicgrn

I rode with a guy once with the tubliss system  :evil . He got a cut so big in his, the plugs wouldn't hold. It was at the beginning of the ride and just ruined everything :'( . I had to ride all the way back to my house to pick up a truck, go all the way back out to get him and then, haul him home. I am all for heavy duty tubes. A tube switch out and or repair could have saved this day of riding.

(names intentionally left out) :-X
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

As we discussed at breakfast I just don't see how you can run lower pressures that 12psi or so without rim damage? but I must be missing something?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Fletch on March 16, 2016, 02:30:38 PM
As we discussed at breakfast I just don't see how you can run lower pressures that 12psi or so without rim damage? but I must be missing something?

Yea, the bumps!
Most of us don't flow a line, we create one and they usually have "bumps."  :P
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Robmicgrn on March 16, 2016, 01:44:49 PM
I rode with a guy once with the tubliss system  :evil . He got a cut so big in his, the plugs wouldn't hold. It was at the beginning of the ride and just ruined everything :'( . I had to ride all the way back to my house to pick up a truck, go all the way back out to get him and then, haul him home. I am all for heavy duty tubes. A tube switch out and or repair could have saved this day of riding.

If I remember right, "that guy" found a nice place to sit and visit with some folks and drink coffee while he waited for the truck.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

tannerc

I have ran 8 PSI with Ultra HD tubes and tough tires and have never had a pinch flat. Maybe my time is coming but I have not had a flat on the trail since using Michelin Ultra HD tubes regardless of tire pressure.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

tannerc

Quote from: Robmicgrn on March 16, 2016, 01:44:49 PM

I have seen this before on a tubliss system as well. I have never seen a tire tear, even with the razor sharp slate and granite in the hills, until a friend was running the tubliss system and he tore a tire twice. It was a common tire that I have seen get plenty of use in other situations, kenda k70 trackmaster, without a problem.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Bogus Jim

This is what's so frustrating about deciding whether to go tubliss! You have guys like Jeff Slavens and others who say it's awesome but then you also have all these stories about tubliss failing on the trail for some reason and if you don't carry a tube you're screwed.

I guess it only costs you $180 to find out for yourself. I like trying new stuff but if you end up going back to tubes then what was the point.

Fletch

Quote from: tannerc on March 16, 2016, 07:30:11 PM

I have ran 8 PSI with Ultra HD tubes and tough tires and have never had a pinch flat. Maybe my time is coming but I have not had a flat on the trail since using Michelin Ultra HD tubes regardless of tire pressure.

I run around 12psi and with the UHD tubes have never had a flat, but aI have a lot of bent rims....
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Dratharr

Its true I am that guy, it happened to me twice both times in the hills. I am sold on ride quality, except for the imbalance. You have to put a lot of lead on to get the wheel to balance out. The traction and the ride quality are unbeatable it is a noticeable difference. However the reliability is suspect in the hills. I think it is a combination of the low pressure and the very sharp rocks you guys have. I run a little higher pressure up there now with UHD tubes and have never had an issue since. Although one time it was on a Bridgestone 404, and the other time I think it was on a Dunlop 756, I have considered using a heavier duty tire like a Maxxis desert IT an see how that goes. Have any of you tired the Tube Saddle? That looks interesting too, less expensive and so far everything I have read is really positive.

KLC63

Hi, I was wondering what pressure you were running?

Dratharr

I think I was running 8 on the back and 10 up front.