News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trade GS for WR?

Started by JustJeff, May 31, 2016, 03:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJeff

Hey all!

Looking for a little feedback.  Thinking about trading in the GS for a WR.  I love the GS but am always scared to take it where I want to go.  Took it in to the backcountry in the Badlands and loved driving it like a beast through riverbed after riverbed, but kept thinking "if I dump it here, I'm screwed." 

I connect with the GS community...the bikes, the adventure, etc., and love driving it on double track, minimum maintenance roads, and trails like we did in the Black Hills.  But there is always the fear of the big bike...getting stuck, getting hurt (riding or picking it up and throwing out my back) and, quite honestly, the added liability of jamming home 80 miles/hour down the highway (deer, idiots, me). 

Is the GS a natural gateway drug to the smaller trail bike or is it the opposite and I just don't know how good I've got it.  Is the excitement in the ride without the fear of being "really stuck" somewhere or is it taking that big boy and seeing where it can go? 

I'd love to keep both, give the WR a try and see what I think but that isn't a feasible option financially with two kids in college.  All comments and feedback appreciated. 

Jeff

Hank

With the places I've seen  you take your GS, there is no question in my mind that you'd have more fun on a small bike in at least some of those situations!
Have you borrowed a small bike in the rough stuff yet to try it?   If not, come out in June and ride my 400 or I'm sure any number of other smaller bikes.

My suggestion, off hand, would be a small bike (WR, KTM, whatever) and then get slightly cheaper road worthy adventure bike.   Right now I think Tiger 800s are the best value on the used market, and they are capable of light offroad and real nice on the road.    Two bikes for less than the price of your current bike, all bases covered.

Fletch

for true off-road/trail use a smaller bike not only makes sense but is a lot more fun. The only reall advantage of a big bike is fro its street bike ability on the highway between trails. If you aren't doing that I see no reason to have the big bike.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Or buy Dave's Weestrom and his WR.. package deal :)

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Hank on May 31, 2016, 03:58:33 PM
Or buy Dave's Weestrom and his WR.. package deal :)
Yeah, I'm down with that!!

Seriously Jeff, after my first time or two with the DDSR group I was in the same situation.  I didn't have anything as big as a GS, but I knew I wanted smaller, lighter, and easier.  Basically, I'm lazy and didn't want to try and throw a heavy bike around.  A lighter bike is simply easier to ride.  With success of any given harder trail or obstacle brings confidence.  If you have the mental confidence to succeed, you almost always will. 

But I do have a 2015 WRf for sale and a 2008 V-strom for sale. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

JustJeff

Why are you selling all your bikes Dave?  I'm thinking about the R instead of the F.  Better road bike I'm told.  Yes? 

JustJeff

Quote from: Hank on May 31, 2016, 03:52:47 PM
With the places I've seen  you take your GS, there is no question in my mind that you'd have more fun on a small bike in at least some of those situations!
Have you borrowed a small bike in the rough stuff yet to try it?   If not, come out in June and ride my 400 or I'm sure any number of other smaller bikes.

My suggestion, off hand, would be a small bike (WR, KTM, whatever) and then get slightly cheaper road worthy adventure bike.   Right now I think Tiger 800s are the best value on the used market, and they are capable of light offroad and real nice on the road.    Two bikes for less than the price of your current bike, all bases covered.

Went riding with a buddy with a 2 stroke 250.  Not a fan of the 2 stroke but went to some really fun places! I think that was the beginning of this train of thought :)

JustJeff

Quote from: Fletch on May 31, 2016, 03:55:59 PM
for true off-road/trail use a smaller bike not only makes sense but is a lot more fun. The only reall advantage of a big bike is fro its street bike ability on the highway between trails. If you aren't doing that I see no reason to have the big bike.

I think that sums it up...the GS is best to get to and from the trails.  Thank you!

NDave

Hey LD I'm a little interested in a wee.  I will study up and we can talk.       701 258 3421

grubbie

NDave I thought you already had a wee? If you got another one.......would it be a re-wee, or a wee-wee?

GSJeff....have you considered a KLR or a DR650? Might be a good in-between that would fit.
I have a WRR and a DR650. But if I could only have one bike, it would be the WRR. Just my opinion for the kind of riding I like to do.

grubbie

Forgot to mention the DRZ 400.....you might want to check that one out also.

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: GS Jeff on May 31, 2016, 05:52:02 PM
Why are you selling all your bikes Dave?  I'm thinking about the R instead of the F.  Better road bike I'm told.  Yes?

I bought a Beta 400rr a few months ago, and a Tiger 800xc last week.  Need to pay for the new ones.

WRR vs WRF  This comparison is based on the WR250R (2008 to present) and 2015 WR250F.  The 2015 model was completely changed from the old F models.
The WRR is a true dual sport and the WRF is a enduro race bike.  If you are only going to have one bike, I would recommend the WRR.  Although both are 6 speeds and considered "wide ratio," the WRR is a wider gear ratio than the WRF.  But the WRF is more fun to ride, period.  It has more snort, feels lighter (because it is) and you can lift the front wheel anytime.  However, according to "Sand Hill Rider" you can't license a WRF in Nebraska.  (You can in SD)

Keep in mind, even though your talking about having only one bike, a GS can pull a tiny trailer with a 250 pound enduro behind it.  And there's an argument that this is not safe.  For what its worth if you can keep it under 500 lbs total I think your good.  Just an idea.

I think the DRZ is geared too low, 5 speed only.  KLR 650, DR 650, and XR650 are good options, but all heavy.  The KTM 690 is very capable, fairly light and agile.
The Beta RS models are also very good.  I've got my RR geared low, and it still will do 65 to 70 easy enough with control power.  In fact, Rosco's here in RC is getting a 2014 Beta 530 RS in on trade today.  That would make a great all around bike.

One more thing, if they made a WR350R it would be great bike, but still about 300 lbs. 
There's my 2 cents!!

Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Jeff, I think you would regret getting rid of the GS. When you wanna eat miles and take the occasional 2 track or or run miles of gravel the big adv bikes work. Trail use is a different story, nothing beats a small machine.

I have one big, the S10, Medium, KLR, and small, KLX. Its all about the right tool.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

I would go with Amsoil. Which bike you ride is not that important, it's the oil.

sandhillrider

Jeff, like Grubbie I also have a dr650 and a WR250R the wr is much more fun to ride in the hills.
I bought the dr first as it can ride to the hills and is still small enough to trail ride on.
I think you will miss the GS if you go small, its a long ride to the hills on a wr. Its hard to make one bike do it all.
Good luck.