News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

My first motocross

Started by Osnabrock, March 25, 2012, 09:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osnabrock

I've been itching to ride off road the last few beautiful weekends but it's been slim pickings since the state forests don't open to trail traffic until the first of May.  I did something that I didn't think I would ever do.........ride motocross.
I have a buddy that's been testing the waters at a few courses around and wanted to check out one near Rochester.  He's pretty new to the whole thing as well, probably less than a half dozen rides, so I thought if I was going to do it, riding with someone of roughly the same experience level would be a good idea.
We arrived a little early so we could get on the course right away, before many of the other riders were ready to ride.  The course was "groomed" by means of a cultivator behind a small tractor.  It did a pretty good job to be honest in that it really did create a blank slate for riding, no ruts. 
As more people showed up they broke the riding into different heats of about 15 minutes a piece.  They broke it up into A and B riders, C riders (me and Robert), and small bikes or kids.  For me 15 minutes of time amounted to 3 laps at the start of the day and 4 closer to the end. 
I haven't spent so much time in the air on a biked in one day, motorized or not, ever.  It wasn't as frightful as I had expected.  I actually enjoyed it very much.  All the faster riders were very considerate.  They would give a big blast of throttle before passing to let you know that they were coming up on you and, though they would often fly over my head on some of the bigger jumps they did it with care.  Only once did I have a little contact with another riders bars in a corner.
I took some photos of some of the A/B riders.  They were really flying.
Like I said, I didn't think I'd ever find myself on a motocross course but I found it VERY enjoyable and will do it again. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

greatbuffalo

Cool, looks like fun. I'd like to try that sometime. I used to do hare scrambles but never MX.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Back in the early 90s I had a friend that had his own MX track and he had a CR125, 250 and 500.   At the time I had a KDX200 and would go plunk around on his track on occasion.  That is my only time on an MX track, other than a few minutes yesterday.  I rode all his bikes too and loved the 125, feared the 250 a bit, and thought the 500 was death on wheels.   Riding it was like juggling grenades with half pulled pins.. that thing would bite you so fast it wasn't funny.  Experts only need apply!

He had one pretty big double and I only worked up the nerve to clear it a couple times.

Its fun, and a big rush, but when air ends badly it ends badly in a big way!   Over the years most of my big dirt bike wrecks came at the end of air of some kind.. including once when I landed from jumping a big assed approach and the hand grip came off.  Talk about OH SHIT.   Instant 90 through a barb wire fence followed by a trip to the clinic to get a lecture and 25 stitches in my arm pit.  LOL.. ouch.  I have another friend who came up short jumping a small ravine that he'd jumped many times, he ended up with broken vertebrae, broken color bone, and all kinds of fun.

I'm rambling.. but long story short.. I don't do big air any more!    Have fun though, but be careful and keep the consequences in mind!

Osnabrock

I couldn't agree with you more Hank.
I feel much more comfortable being on the ground.  That was the case when I used to snowboard and is just the same now.  There's a lot more fun to be had experiencing gravity while pasted to the Earth.  With both sports, I'm more about coaxing gravity into working for your benefit.
It always seems like the least showy or flamboyant riders are always the quickest and the last thing I want is an injury. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

plumber mike

No health benefits for me-it helps keep me out of the air :-\ I know how much I can hurt myself on a peddle bike ::)

Thanks for your honest feedback about the track...indeed better than sitting on the couch.

Dick @ Sturgis Motorsports has offered to let us do a track day in sturgis if that is of interest to anyone.

jacin theis

I want to do that!! if my WR isnt gone. I would even try it on the GS. SLOWLY!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS